News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Turners, Tormek use question

Started by SharpenADullWitt, September 26, 2016, 04:49:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SharpenADullWitt

How often do you turn your Tormek around doing turning tools (and for what)?

I am thinking I don't really need a second rotating base, as my hand tool/knife one, I expect will get rotated a lot more then the unit setup for turning. (but would rather learn from others habits first)
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

RichColvin

SADW,

I have found that I can do it all from one side and never turn it around.   Too much hassle. 

Kind regards,
Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Rob

Never.  Only use my Tormek for spindle and bowl gouges and only use it in the wheel moving away from blade position ie horizontal.
Best.    Rob.

Stickan

Every time I use it, I do sharpen all my dull stuff at the same time, and expecially for knifes and chisels, I use the honing wheel every time so I need to turn the machine,

Best,
Stig

Hatchcanyon

I also don't turn the machine at any time. Stone on the right side.

Rolf
German with a second home in the American Southwestern Desert - loves Old England too.

Rob

Quote from: Stickan on September 26, 2016, 10:56:26 AM
Every time I use it, I do sharpen all my dull stuff at the same time, and expecially for knifes and chisels, I use the honing wheel every time so I need to turn the machine,

Best,
Stig

He's talking about turning tools though Stig :-)  I also turn mine around when sharpening anything in vertical mode....we all do don't we?  :-)
Best.    Rob.

Ken S

That's the accepted EU practice.  :)

Ken

Stickan

Rob,
I understood that, my comment was to show that you can sharpen more than turning tools :-)
Supriclingly many Tormek owners dont think about all the other tools they can sharpen with this system.

Best,
Stig

Ken S

I think we are all overlooking something. SADW mentioned in the first post that he was considering whether he would need a second rotating base for his (second) Tormek which he intends to use primarily for turning tools. The question is should he have rotating bases for both Tormeks?

Over the years I have accumulated duplicates for several jigs and accessories. Some, like the knife jigs and universal supports, I have used for efficiency. Some, like the platform jig and the platform of the scissors jig, I purchased to modify. Even though I also have more than one Tormek, it has never occurred to me to purchase a second rotating base.

The rotating base is attached to the Tormek by only gravity. I routinely remove it from under the Tormek after each sharpening session as part of regular cleanup. I lean it against the Tormek to dry. It can be used with any Tormek and switching takes only seconds.

I consider the new 186 gouge jig essential for turners. One rotating base, as Stig points out, is useful for general sharpening when using the vertical position. I would put a second rotating base lower on the wish list.

Ken

Rob

I agree the 186 is the bees knees. For turning tools specifically I'm less certain about the rotating base although as a bit of luxury for a Christmas present its a nice option. But because of the primary horizontal grinding with elliptical tools it's a little superfluous just for that function

Having said that, I'd like one anyway......any takers for my Christmas pressie :-)
Best.    Rob.

Ken S

Point well taken, Rob.

I don't think that horizontal (wheel turning away) was part of the original Tormek vision, although it certainly is a useful development.

Ken

SharpenADullWitt

Quote from: Ken S on September 30, 2016, 11:13:39 AM
Point well taken, Rob.

I don't think that horizontal (wheel turning away) was part of the original Tormek vision, although it certainly is a useful development.

Ken

You have proof of that by the fact the there was no mount on the front originally.
I did upgrade/purchase the three newest/upgraded jigs.   (think they were more benefit then a second rotating base)
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Ken S

Good point SADW. While your agrument in another topic convinces me of the value of having a rotating base, and probably a rotating base for the second Tormek, the new jigs are also a substantial improvement. The old jigs are not bad; the new jigs are just much better. For a turner, I consider the new 186 gouge jig essential. For woodworkers, the SE-77 is in a league of its own for plane blades. I'm not sure which third jig you mean. The switch to zinc is a step up for any jig.

Rich Colvin, an avid turner who switched to the new 186 gouge jig, has a very clever use for his older 185 gouge jig. Rich uses some turning tools with inserts. He uses his 185 set up for inserts as a separate jig. Clever, Rich!

Ken

SharpenADullWitt

One has to fulfill their priorities and keep their budgets.
8)

Ken S

I totally agree. In most of my life I am a thrifty person. Even with my Tormek addiction, I have not been able to force myself to purchase the axe jig.  :)

Ken