News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Ten years warranty in Sweden right now.

Started by Janne, September 15, 2016, 11:35:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Janne

Today one large reseller of Tormek equipment in Sweden offers ten in stead of seven years.
Sell confident to raise the time another three years.
Nice.
Janne
Wet grinding mentor. Drill bits restoring/reshape. Sharp edges in general.

SharpenADullWitt

The T-7 offered 7+3 if you see here (in the USA): http://tormek.com/international/en/machine-models/tormek-t-7/

For some reason (probably a screwup), they lowered the warranty on the T-8, here: http://tormek.com/international/en/machine-models/tormek-t-8/  (in the USA to 7)
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Ken S

Janne,

Is the ten year (7+3) warranty offered by the reseller in Sweden available for the T8 and T4, or just the T7?

SADW,

I believe the original senen year warranty on the T7 was increased by three years to encourage owners to register their Tormeks. From everything I have heard, repair work is rare. I can't imagine many Tormeks needing warranty work from years seven to ten.

Ken

SharpenADullWitt

I don't see a lot of issues either.  If there are, I would expect them to be with the first run of the T-8, as are most typical production problems (things change, find new issues, correct and continue).  In the grand scheme of things, some of those wouldn't affect the user, and what would, would be a low overall percentage of machines.
But based on the date this was posted, I expect this is the T-8 model being discussed, not the out of production, remainder of stock, T-7.
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Janne

Ken
It is the lokal dealer that promises ten years, no partikular model mensioned. Only that you have to register the product at tormek.com.
Clas Ohlson is the name of this dealer.
Wet grinding mentor. Drill bits restoring/reshape. Sharp edges in general.

Ken S

It's a nice idea for a dealer, but not much of a risk.

Ken

WolfY

Quote from: SharpenADullWitt on September 22, 2016, 04:46:50 PM
I don't see a lot of issues either.  If there are, I would expect them to be with the first run of the T-8, as are most typical production problems (things change, find new issues, correct and continue).  In the grand scheme of things, some of those wouldn't affect the user, and what would, would be a low overall percentage of machines.
But based on the date this was posted, I expect this is the T-8 model being discussed, not the out of production, remainder of stock, T-7.

Just as I was wondering why Tormek changed the warranty (with same conclusions as you) I remembered the driving wheel issue with the T-7. T-8 has solved this issue with the Zink drive wheel, but we don't know if other small issues will arise. Besides price to solve this issue after 7 yrs and upgrade to Zink wheel is not that expensive considering the long life of the T-7. I guess Clas Ohlson has considered it in their pricing and think it's worth it based on their reclamation statistics. It gives me also a good feeling of confidence as I know Class Ohlson is a big well established chain and sells a lot of machines.
Still 7 yrs is good enough and leave good confidence to the clients. For me it's another argument (except for price) for selling the few last T-7  I have in stock.

Sorry for my absence lately. Lack of time due to moving to a new shop among other responsibilities. :)
Giving an advice is easy.
Accepting an advice is good.
Knowing which advice is worth adopting and which not, is a virtue.

Stickan

Hi,
The T-8 has 7 years warranty in Sweden, its the same warranty globaly.
Even with the 3 extra years you got by register the machine, not many actually did.
And we have a generous warranty even after the 7 or 10 years was over so we found it ok to go back to 7 years.

The T-8 is as good as the T-7 and with some improvements even better so there is no question that the machines will serve for a lifetime.

Best,
Stig

Ken S

Business operates on risk and reward. For a Tormek dealer, the risk of extending the seven year factory warranty by three years seems miniscule.

Unlike other industries, where new products are sometimes hastily prepared for a preset date, I believe Tormek worked through whatever bugs might have been in the T8 before offering it for sale.

I have more  oncern for my own longevity than for the T 4,7, or 8.

Ken