News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Tormek Book version/dvd question

Started by SharpenADullWitt, September 14, 2016, 05:06:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SharpenADullWitt

If you had just one (and no web access), which would you prefer?
I am thinking the dvd, personally, as it is more of a training aid (and since there isn't a book/dvd package).
What was the version of the book, sold with a T-7?  (or the range of versions)  What is the current version?  (looking at used copies on a river site, for my friends to keep with theirs, so I will end up with mine back)

Thanks

On a side note, I went ahead and ordered some upgraded jigs as I want to compare them.
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Ken S

Edition 9.5 came with my T7 in 1999. That was just before the EZYlock shaft and advanced water trough. Present edition is 10.3. The real meat and potatoes of the handbook has changed very little through the editions. For a T7, I might choose something in the high nines.

My edition 9.5 is hardbound. The most recent editions are spiral bound. They lay flat. I'm partial to hard bound books, but that's just my opinion.

Ken

Rem

I just received my new T8 about two (or so) weeks ago.  The spiral bound book that came with it is edition 10.3.   It is very professionally done, with beaucoup photographs and detailed drawings, and appears to have "write-in-the-rain" type paper.   R

Ken S

Rem,

I hope you registered  your new Tormek on the website. In addition to the warranty protection, you can easily download the latest edition of the handbook once you are registered. As much as I like books, I also refer to my copy on the ipad.

By the way, I use my handbooks as working reference works. I underline, highlight, and make notes. Ironically, these improvements probably lower the used book value.

Ken

Rem

Quote from: Ken S on September 15, 2016, 02:37:35 AM
Rem,

I hope you registered  your new Tormek on the website. In addition to the warranty protection, you can easily download the latest edition of the handbook once you are registered. As much as I like books, I also refer to my copy on the ipad.

Ken

I did both, Ken, thanks.  Yes, I like referring to the manual on my large computer screen.   Easier for the old guy to read.   R   

Ken S

SharpenADullWitt

Guess I won't be needing the new one.
I was going to order one for them, and loan them mine, so they could get comfortable with it.
A while back, they had an equipment failure and since they are not computer/cell phone/internet people, I got the call.  Well I found their equipment, and they had it in a week (good price, great delivery price/service and in stock).  So when they told me they were interested in one of the sharpeners I ordered them one from Steve.  Turns out, they remembered me once saying I would find a used one again, someday, and get it for a second/different stone.  Steve's one had the SB stone with it (my choice), and I put it on mine so maybe I can spend some time learning turning this winter/next spring.  So they had me "show them how to sharpen the two knives that needed it".
Then they asked about those practice knives I recently ordered (had them with their equipment).  Since two of them were the same style they use, they just asked if we could do a rotate out as needed and for me to take the machine home as a thank you. (basically about once a month)
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)