News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Improved support when using the DBS-22

Started by Janne, August 11, 2016, 10:56:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Janne

I made a new support allowing the bottom plate of the jig to be positioned approx 25 mm more to the left. This makes the sliding movement when grinding drill bits to be more centered. The advantage is most useful when grinding the big heavy drill bits (15-22 mm). Since the center of the tool weight (drill included) is mostly on the left side I have experienced an unstable movement in  the outer left sliding position. The new support decreases this risk.

Janne
Wet grinding mentor. Drill bits restoring/reshape. Sharp edges in general.

Ken S

Grinder,

This sounds like a useful idea. Could you post a photo?

Ken

Ken S

Grinder,
I sent you a PM (personal message).
Ken

Janne

Ken S

Very sorry. I was away from my main computer until this evening. I have the three photos Janne sent me half loaded onto the forum. I have used photobucket successfully before, but am still clumsy.

I will try to complete tomorrow.

Ken

Janne,

Look back at your earlier post. I inserted your photos there so that you can modify your post by adding text.

Ken

Janne

Support.

Drill at the right sliding position.

Drill at the left sliding position.

Sliding movement is centered over the  tool base plate.

Thanks for good help and advice with the posting of Pictures.

Janne

Ken S

Janne,

The photos help, but I think your idea still needs some more explanatory text. I believe you have a good idea, however, I still don't understand it.

Most drill users only go up to 1/2" (12mm), however, many also have some Silver and Deming drill bits in larger sizes. (These have 1/2" shanks.) Your improvement might help these users.

Please post some more information.

Ken

Janne

The drill jig has a base plate with a sliding function sideways. With original support bar the sliding center is far to the left side (at least on a T4) and with the heavy big drill bits like 18-22 mm the aditiinal tool weight (drill holder and drill) makes the movement a bit unstable at the left side due to a relative shorts guide/slider. With my support bar this sliding movement is centered over the base plate with maximum guiding.
I spend most time grinding big drills, 16-22 used in mechanical work shops.
Janne

Ken S

Janne,

I will spend some time with my DBS-22 this weekend and try to conceptualize your idea. I have some Silver and Deming bits larger than half inch.

Ken

Janne

20+ mm are sizes i like best to grind, heavy strong drill bits that cuts through steel like it is butter.
Janne

Jan

Janne, how much time do you need on average to sharpen a 20 mm drill bit?

Jan

Ken S

During my early years as an installer for the telephone company, Drilling 5/8" (14mm) holes through hard log cabin beams with a dull bit and a hand cranked brace and bit my memories were not so pleasant. Those were definitely pre Tormek days. An auger bit file and a mill file made life easier.

My worst experience was when a bit jammed halfway through the beam.

I comtinued to the brace and bit long after they were abandoned by younger workers, although I was grateful for the heavy duty drill I purchased. I wish I had a Tormek and DBS-22 back then!

Ken

Ken S

Good question, Jan

Janne, you mentioned a T4. Are you using a T4 for the large bits? ( I have found the T4 a fine performer, although I have not yet used it for drill bits.)

Ken

Janne

Jan.
I would say fifteen minutes as an average.

Ken.
Yes, T4 with a special home made USB.

Janne