News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Special Christmas present

Started by Jan, December 19, 2015, 07:50:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jan

Last year I received from colleagues, who are aware of my sharpening hobby, a special ancient tool as a Christmas present.  :)

The donor told me that it's a farrier's chisel used to form hooves of horses.
The chisel cannot be sharpen on TORMEK because it is too narrow (less than 40 mm, some 1 1/2").

May be similar tools were used also in colonial America. In Europe farriers are known until today from the Household Cavalry of the British Army.

Jan

Elden

I imagine it was originally sharpened using a file. A grinding wheel, that would fit between the two side wings, could be used  carefully, free hand. Do you have the paper wheel set-up, Jan?  I think those would be ideal. Is the right wing broken off or was it made that way? From the picture it appears to have been made that way.
Elden

Jan

You are correct Elden, it was probably originally sharpened using a file.   :)
As you can see from the detailed pictures the tool is in good condition, at one side wing there is little toe.

I do not have a paper wheel. Even more I am considering whether to sharpen the tool or leave it in its current condition with patina.

Jan

stevebot

Leave it with the patina unless you are planning to use it.
Steve Bottorff; author, teacher and consultant on knife and scissor sharpening.

Ken S

Jan,

What a nice old tool. I'm glad your colleagues had the wisdom to choose you as a steward. I totally agree with Steve on just leaving the patina. Better to spend your time researching the tool than sharpening it for no intended use.

Thanks for sharing.

Ken

ps I had the pleasure of watching a local ferrier work several years ago. It is quite a craft.

nice photos, too.

Elden

Steve and Ken are correct about leaving the patina for a non used tool being the best. However, I am one of those that likes to see a shiny cutting edge. That shiny edge takes away from the value of the tool, I am told. Thanks for posting the extra pictures.
Elden

Ken S

Elden,

Your post reminds me of visiting the Rijksmuseum (please pardon my Dutch spelling) in Amsterdam decades ago. I was impressed by the pristine ivory recorders (blockflutes). They were works of art. Then I realized that the reason they were so immaculate was that they were not played. The outstanding instruments had been played out long ago. I like to see old tools with honorable wear and patina.

Ken

Jan

Thanks for your opinions and recommendations!  :)

Let me use the name of this topic's as an occasion to wish you Marry Christmas!

Josef Lada, 1940, Czech Christmas

Jan

Ken S

Nice Christmas image, Jan, and a good thought.  A Merry Christmas to all.

Ken

RobinW

Somewhere out of the grey cells, a word came to me - and I know nothing about horses or have any connection with them!

Jan's tool is called a butteris.

Dictionary says:- 'Farrier's tool for paring hoof'.

Merry Christmas to all Forum members.

Jan

"You see, mon ami, the voices of the little gray cells have begun to sing to Poirot." Agatha Christie.

Thank you Robin for finding the name of my tool.  :)

Jan