News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Hey guys! Done the sharpening training

Started by AndrewLee, August 10, 2016, 03:18:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndrewLee

Heya guys,  I disappeared off for a good few weeks to go training at the encouragement of some of you lot on here. Have to say for me it was an expensive investment and that's exactly what it is, an investment! I'm now seriously considering a side venture as a tool sharpener in my local area and to be honest the whole thing is terrifying me! Worst of all is not being able to keep the standards up that I'd expect from my sharpening skills.

Strange how life takes weird turns and I hope this works out for me~

Teo things I need to focus on though regarding sharpening. One is to get good with the drill bit sharpening. I'm still hopeless with the DBS22 and I need to get good with professional scissor sharpening lol

SharpenADullWitt

Define professional scissor sharpening?
The reason I ask, is one thing I did when first getting my Tormek, was to look on my local CL for tools to refurbish.  I did come across a batch of "office" type of scissors, but they were gone when I called.  However a friends daughter attended a cosmetology school, of which there are several here.  I read about not doing those scissors on the Tormek, and thought if I was going to do it professionally, I would call some place like that and see if there were any bad scissors, that it wouldn't hurt to practice with.  (no longer used, beyond fixing, etc)
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

AndrewLee

Ah yes, I don't use the tormek for scissors, I used another machine but can't remember if we're allowed to discuss other products on here per the rules.

However I do exclusively use the tormek for knife sharpening though

Ken S

Welcome back, Andrew!

So often my recommendations to invest in good trainng instead of more "stuff" go unheeded. I am most pleased you chose to invest in training. I hope you will post your thoughts on the training.

I will have to consult Volume XXVII of the forum rules about scissors equipment.  :) My gut feeling is that we should keep the forum primarily Tormek, especially when Tormek makes a product which will perform the same function. I have occasionally discussed competitors' products with other forum members via PM (private messages). PMs keep the forum Tormek and share the information.

I am pleased you are posting again.

Ken

AndrewLee

Unheeded?? Ken you pretty much pushed me into a business venture lol to be honest it's not that big of a risky investment because I use the tormek for my own personal gain as most of us here do lol

Hoping to keep posting and asking for others for sharpening advice! :)

SharpenADullWitt

Ken,

Consider going back through Jeff Farris's old posts. (also you might find some of Stevebott's useful)

The Tormek wasn't designed for everything, and completely locking down the thought process to that, is a disservice to them as they know that. (and don't want unhappy customers who get the wrong tool for a job it wasn't designed for)
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Ken S

Point well taken.

That's why I wrote "primarily Tormek" instead of "exclusively Tormek". I do not expect the Tormek to be all things to all people. Steve uses his Tormek as his "workhorse". The workhorse is certainly not the only horse in his stable (nor in mine). Even Jeff sold the Multitool belt grinder.

I do not mean to imply that this forum should be exclusively Tormek. In fact, I have probably made more positive posts about non Tormek products than anyone. I think we should see the Tormek both for the many things it can do very well and the things which really fall outside its design scope.

Ken