News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

a good skew you tube

Started by Ken S, June 06, 2016, 12:47:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

As part of my skew sharpening project, I have been researching the skew. Google "screw the skew" to find an interesting beginner level you tube on learning to use only the skew. The practice is centered around making a set of screwdriver handles. Lee Valley sells well made inexpensive shafts for screwdrivers.

I think the video cleverly develops a good premise. By making a set of screwdrivers, the student gets a lot of practice in the basics. The end products are better proficiency with the skew and a nice user made set of screwdrivers. The video interjects many quotes on the value of practice.

A good study video.

Ken

AndrewLee

Good video, already watched 13mins of it. Sounds like a regular guy trying to learn how to get better with tools, which applies to most of us.

Ken S

Interesting observation, Andrew. I totally agree. I like the way he combines a lot of basic routine skew practice with ending up with a nice set of screwdrivers. Also noted, he uses a quality set of ground metal shafts from Lee Valley. A class act!

Ken

RichColvin

For skew training, I recommend looking at the experts.  The two who come to mind immediately are Allan Batty & Richard Raffan.  Here are some links to those lads and also to some articles in an awesome magazine for woodturners :

---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.