News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Notes on the MSK-250 stainless shaft upgrade

Started by RichColvin, June 05, 2016, 03:57:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RichColvin

I finally took the plunge to upgrade my Supergrind 2000's shaft to the new stainless steel one (the MSK-250 kit).  These are the notes I have from that upgrade :

1.  Add a little lithium grease to the shaft area where it is inside the bushings.
2.  When attaching the drive wheel to the shaft, put the nut on before putting the honing wheel on. 
3.  I have the profiled leather honing wheel, so I had to attach that shaft next.  I skipped step two, and it didn't fit right.
4.  Make sure the leather honing wheel's bolts sit properly with the drive wheel.  You'll probably have to rotate the honing wheel til it drops into the correct position. 

Note :  there's a great YouTube video on this procedure at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IX96a9WoAJE. It is much, much better than the instructions in the box. 

Ok, so at the end, it was definitely worth the cost & effort.  My stones run SIGNIFICANTLY truer.  Far less wobble. 

I have an old SG-250 that was close to end of life (187 mm diameter).  When I went to true it up, it really showed me how out of true my last shaft was.

And, the ease with which I can change the stone now is amazing.  This is also a great upgrade, and kudos to Tormek for allowing me to do this without having to buy a new machine (mine is doing just fine).

If you have the older shaft, I definitely recommend this upgrade. 
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Ken S

Rich,

My first impression of the EZYlock shaft was that it seemed like a lot of well machined stainless steel for sixty six dollars.

I think the EZYlock is one of the major advances for Tormek. When I review Tormek products, I ask two questions:
When initially purchasing the product, should someone opt for the newer model?
And:
For someone who already has the older model, would it be worth replacing the older model with the new model?

All of the Tormek products I have reviewed get a yes for the first question. For the second question, from personal experience, I would include the EZYlock, the SVD-186 gouge jig, and, for those who are not familiar with 12mm thread taps, the micro adjust version of the universal support. For avid woodworkers, I would include the new SE-77. Based on Rich's comparison, I would add the TT-50 truing tool.

Ken

Herman Trivilino

I would add that the new nylon bearings that come with the new shaft should be installed and lubricated. Even if you never change grindstones the EzyLock feature makes it easier to perform the regular and essential maintenance task of lubricating the bearings. It will make your machine and its parts work better and last longer. I made the mistake of overlooking this bit of maintenance and it cost me both a grindstone and a main shaft.

You can read more about it here: http://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=929.msg2133#msg2133

Origin: Big Bang

Ken S

Excellent advice, Herman. The voice of one who has served in the trenches.

I have been installing and removing grinding wheels often lately. The more I use the EZYlock, the more I like it.

Ken