News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

scythe sharpening

Started by thats sharp, June 02, 2016, 04:34:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thats sharp

Does anyone have experience sharpening a scythe on the T-7. Tormek shows sharpening free hand with the wheel turning towards you and removal of the honing wheel. I'm assuming the scythe does not need peening. I would use a magic marker to determine the original bevel but I was hoping for additional info. from the pros...
Thanks in advance

Ken S

I suspect you may be the first forum member to attempt a scythe. We aren't ignoring you. You might try support in Sweden, support@tormek.se

Ken

brettgrant99

Oddly enough, I was looking at scythes just a couple of days ago.  I know very little about them, so take my words with a grain of salt.

My understanding is that ancient scythes were made from soft metals.  These scythes are still available today.  Because the metal was soft, it needed to be reshaped and then sharpened.  Peening was the process to reshape and re-thin the edge, and then it was hand sharpened with a stone.

I found a comment that there are scythes made out of newer, harder steel.  I would guess that those don't need peening, and are more appropriate for sharpening with the Tormek.

Let us know what you discover.

Jan

I do not recommend to sharpen European (Austrian) style scythes on Tormek.

The prevailing way the scythe leading edge is formed in Europe for many generations is peening. Peening does not remove steel from the blade. Peening the cutting edge results in drawing out and thinning the steel at the edge. After peening the edge is finished and maintained with wheatstone.

From the metallurgical point of view peening is a mixture between work-hardening (cold working) and steel over-working. Peening hardens the metal at the edge.

I have never mastered the peening technique though I have inherited the equipment for it – a special stool with wide convex anvil and scythe hammer very similar to the one shown on the picture below.

Jan

P.S.: My post concerns only Austrian style scythes. I know that the majority of scythe blades used in North America and Britian were traditionally not peened.

Here in Continental Europe it was different. From my youth I remember well the characteristic  ringing sound of the peening anvil and hammer which was an essential part of rural atmosphere. Reapers were peening their scythes each evening.

Jan

Does anybody know what is the English term for the special peening stool? Is a term "peening station" fine with you?  :-\

Jan

Ken S

Interesting, Jan.

I recall reading somewhere that clockmakers would peen brass to work harden it.

Ken