News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Grinding wheel nut. Can't undo it!

Started by AndrewLee, June 03, 2016, 03:07:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndrewLee

Hey guys,

Owned a tormek T7 for over a year now and I've recently thought about when I'd need to change it. Tbh I've only been using it very occasionally. I tried to undo the nut that secures the wheel yesterday but to my surprise it doesn't budge at all. Possibly rusted on or something. I emailed customer services and they said to spray some wd40 on it and see what lol happen. I have a feeling it wouldnt work though.

Any advice?

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, Andrew.

Do you mean the round nut which holds the grinding wheel to the shaft? If so, both it and the shaft are stainless steel. That nut also has a left hand thread, so I suspect your efforts to loosen it are actually tightening it.

Facing your Tormek with the grinding wheel on the right, Hold the leather honing wheel secure in your left hand. Turn the grinding wheel away from you with your right hand. The nut will loosen.

By the way, welcome to the club; we have all done this. The EZYlock nut is designed to be used without tools. I think that is why it's round instead of hexagonal. I made a memory aid using a piece of Scotch tape with an arrow. Those of you less technical might look at the tighten and loosen arrows on the nut. :) Do not keep your channellock pliers near your Tormek!

Keep us posted.
Ken

AndrewLee

Hey there Ken,

I've tried spraying wd40 on the ezlock nut two coats over two hours and the nut isn't budging at all. Tormek also has a sticker on the nut showing which way to lock and unlock the nut respectively and I am turning it the right way. 

Completely seized, no movement at all :(

Hatchcanyon

WD 40 is often not very helpful for freeing threads.

In Germany we have a superior product called Caramba that outperforms WD 40on this task by far. Let Caramba work overnight.

Rolf
German with a second home in the American Southwestern Desert - loves Old England too.

AndrewLee

Sold! I'll order some of your German WD40 in and see how that works. At this rate I'll try anything short of sledgehammer to the stone itself lol

Ken S

The nut is loosened by pushing against the grinding wheel, not by turning the nut. Please consult the handbook. If holding the leather honing wheel securely (not turning) and pushing against the grinding wheel does not cause the nut to loosen, I suggest you email Tormek support.
support@tormek.se

In addition to being left hand, the thread of the EZYlock is coarse to lock securely but loosen easily.

Keep us posted.

Ken

wootz

Hi Andrew,
As Ken said, the trick is in rotating the grinding wheel while holding the leather wheel still, not the nut.

If this doesn't help, you can also try the other side.
Ask someone to hold the stone wheel so that it won't move, while you go to the honing side.
Remove the leather honing wheel, and rotate the black drive wheel with your hands clockwise.
This should unlock the stone.

If still no go, the problem must be in the washer between the stone and the case.
Loosen the hexagonal nut on the drive wheel, but don't unscrew it completely, and don't take out the shaft with the stone on it. This will allow you to pull the stone away from the case, you can then unlock as explained above by Ken.

AndrewLee

Holy mother of zeus!

The holding the leather side and turning the stone worked! I can't believe it..

Thanks alot gents, I clearly don't understand how mysterious some of this Swedish technology works!

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: AndrewLee on June 03, 2016, 10:44:30 PM
Holy mother of zeus!

The holding the leather side and turning the stone worked! I can't believe it..

Thanks alot gents, I clearly don't understand how mysterious some of this Swedish technology works!

There have been times when I've had to use adjustable pliers to loosen the "nut" that holds it in place.
Origin: Big Bang

Ken S

I confess to resorting to Channellocks once or twice, although I am not proud if it. If you remove the grinding wheel after each sharpening session few a while, the operation will become second nature, and you shouldn't have any more problems.

Ken

SharpenADullWitt

Not since changing the shaft and seeing this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IX96a9WoAJE
that went against some of the older recommendations back in the Supergrind era. (don't push the stones, before), have I had any issues.
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)