News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

more angles

Started by Ken S, May 30, 2016, 01:31:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

We have seen in depth posts regarding edge and cord angles. I am certainly no math scholar. While I appreciate these scholarly posts, I also think about several related angles. The "standard" angle for general use with carbon steel is twenty five degrees. A2 steel, now in common use, is generally sharpened to thirty degrees. Paring chisels are generally sharpened to less than twenty five degrees. Mortising chisels are sharpened to at least thirty five degrees.

Both Lie-Nielsen and Veritas, two top plane makers, offer several blades ground to different angles for thier low angle planes. These blades have a twenty five degree primary bevel and up to fifty degree secondary bevels. These high secondary bevels are to prevent tear out with difficult woods.

Most of us will not stray far from working standard angles with commonly used woods. However, I think that we need to be aware of these other angles.

Ken