News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

It is official, the Tormek T8 is here

Started by stevebot, May 10, 2016, 04:39:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevebot

Steve Bottorff; author, teacher and consultant on knife and scissor sharpening.

stevebot

I tried to order two T7 from the US distributor yesterday only to be told cryptically that that part number was no longer available. A little further prodding revealed T7 production is over and T8 are being produced. First shipment to USA will arr early June. I was allocated only 2 and they are sold already.

Hatchcanyon

At first glance the difference between the T-7 and the T-8 seems not to be very large?

Rolf
German with a second home in the American Southwestern Desert - loves Old England too.

Ken S

The short video does not show much detail. I think a much more in depth video with Alan Holtham will follow soon. I don't know if they will be separate videos or combined, but I expect some video on the new SE-77 square edge jig.

As I state in my first glimpse topic, I have found the differences substantial between the T7 and the T8.

Ken

Erich Wise

Ken S

Wow, Erich! There goes the wife's Mercedes. :)

Keep us posted.

Ken

SharpenADullWitt

Quote from: Hatchcanyon on May 10, 2016, 04:54:49 PM
At first glance the difference between the T-7 and the T-8 seems not to be very large?

Rolf

I think it would really depend on a persons use.  The materials and the tolerance in manufacturing I would think would be an improvement on their side.  The change in material on the drive wheel, is something I would like to know more about and if it is something we could upgrade our older models with?!.
I think the water trough raising and lowering mechanism is an improvement in the cleaning use of one (as well as the included scraper).  Less spillage, etc. especially for beginners.  I would like to see the cord in use on the rotating tray.  (better video)
Also would like them to consider at some point, having different part numbers, so one can order, for example, a T-8, with a SB stone, from the beginning. (seriously considering it for a second one)
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: SharpenADullWitt on May 12, 2016, 05:37:35 PM
Also would like them to consider at some point, having different part numbers, so one can order, for example, a T-8, with a SB stone, from the beginning. (seriously considering it for a second one)

I agree. It seems that users who already own a Tormek would be more tempted to buy the new T-8 if we could order it with the grindstone of our choice. Many of us have a desire to own two Tormeks, each with a different grindstone mounted.
Origin: Big Bang

Ken S

Good idea, Herman. I wonder if anyone has tried. A larger dealer should be able to sell the original grinding wheel to another buyer with a worn or cracked stone.

When I replaced my stolen T7, I contacted Jeff for advice. He had already sold Sharptoolsusa. He referred me to Advanced Machinery. They allowed me to purchase a new T7 minus the truing tool, stone grader and anglemaster. I don't remember the exact price, only that it seemed fair.

I don't see a huge market surge of buyers wanting different grinding wheels, however, a small market exists, and should be serviced.

Ken

Hatchcanyon

This was the flaw we identified after a short time - a machine without the SB stone for HSS tools. We ordered the stone lateron separately, now having two stones. The advantage: Both together will last longer than one.

I agree with Ken, there is a market that should be serviced.

Rolf
German with a second home in the American Southwestern Desert - loves Old England too.

SharpenADullWitt

Ken the market may be bigger then you realize.  I think in part it would be what tools a woodworker starts out with.  Hand me downs, family heirloom tools, etc. may be softer metals and the SG stone would be fine.  Newer tools, as an example some of Lee vallley's planes, use a harder steel.  Also some of the turning tools are coming with carbide bits, or other alloys.  So if someone gets started into woodoworking with newer tools, the faster cutting of the SB stone, would be a better buy from the get go.
That said, even if they did a test run, I would expect to see consumer feedback, on multiple woodworking forums (and it would be interesting to see responses from those who didn't buy, because they needed extra, from the beginning).
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Ken S

Excellent point, SADW.

Most of my bench planes date from ca. 1909. I was quite surprised when I first saw one of the new IBC blades. Hopefully Sweden will read this topic. While the SG-250 would also be useful to most users, it would be nice to have the choice.

Ken

stevebot

There has been another delay in US deliveries of  T8s. Now they saying Monday or Tuesday June 13 or 14.

Ken S

RichColvin

Was at the AAW conference last week, and was able to see the T8.  There are some really cool advantages :

• the holes into which the universal support bar are inserted (the sleeves) are tighter :  apparently, the zinc allows for tighter tolerances than the aluminum.
  • the dial for raising the water trough is really cool :  it allows the water to be put into the proper position very quickly and easily, and with minimal spillage
  • the new water trough is very nicely designed, especially with the scraper that can be used to clean it out.
  • that scraper has a strong magnet for attracting the metal filings.

It is nicely designed and looks really good.

Kind regards,
Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.