News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

alternative use of old grinding wheels

Started by thats sharp, January 21, 2016, 05:46:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thats sharp

I currently have the T-7 and am looking at purchasing a T-4. I am very interested in using my used up T-7 wheels on the T-4 so I would like to ask the knowledgeable folks on this forum the following question. What would be the best way to reduce the width of a used T-7 stone to fit the T-4 shaft? Is it doable?
I would guess that someone would be able to suggest a method to at least make this remotely possible. Ideas?

jeffs55

The wheel dressing tool would/should work but that sounds like an exercise in futility to me. How you would maintain the depth of cut evenly across the diameter of the wheel is unknown. Plus, if the diameter is too small for use on the T7, it is not going to be any larger when placed on the T4.
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

RichColvin

Quote from: thats sharp on April 18, 2016, 03:36:37 AM
I currently have the T-7 and am looking at purchasing a T-4. I am very interested in using my used up T-7 wheels on the T-4 so I would like to ask the knowledgeable folks on this forum the following question. What would be the best way to reduce the width of a used T-7 stone to fit the T-4 shaft? Is it doable?
I would guess that someone would be able to suggest a method to at least make this remotely possible. Ideas?

I asked that very question a while ago, even proposing a "T47" for this.   In the end, the general opinion is that it is cheaper to have separate stones & upgrade my T2000's shaft to accommodate easier wheel changing via the knurled screw.
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Ken S

It is possible to convert the T4 to accept the thicker SG-250 grinding wheels. It is also possible to have your worn grinding wheels ground down to 40mm thickness to fit the T4.

You would need to have a custom made made shaft. A local machine shop would be able to make one for you. Bring the shafts to the shop and explain that you want a shaft itentical to the T4 shaft, except being able to handle a 200mm thickness grinding wheel.

You may be able to jury rig your present 2000 water trough for the "T47" and order a replacement for the 2000.

The constraint is cost. I have no idea what the new shaft would cost. I would guess as much as a T4.

If you decide to thin the wheels instead, you would have to romove ten millimeters of thickness. Having flattened a dished oilstone, I can tell you this would be a Herculean task. My oilstone took more than four hours and wore out a two hundred dollar diamond flattening plate. I should have just used the fine side and abandoned the coarse side.

If you can't use the worn stones anymore, use them as weights, shop decorations or sell them cheap on ebay. For about the cost of just the T4 you can buy two new grinding wheels, even the SB-250, which may last longer.

I encourage you to keep thinking creatively, but to consider used grinding wheels like worn out brake shoes.

Ken

SharpenADullWitt

Ken

It sounds like your trying to make a Monty Python skit:
Mr, Machinist sir, I would like you to give me the shaft. :D
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Ken S