News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Any information on the new T-8 coming out?

Started by Erich Wise, April 15, 2016, 03:42:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erich Wise

Hello,

New here, was going to buy the Tormek T-7 but then...I hear about a T-8 around the corner?

I hear it will be available in June. But otherwise I don't seem to be able to find any information at all about it.

Thank you all for your time.

SharpenADullWitt

Source?

I broke the news about the T-4 to this site, months before it was out:
[http://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=2056.0

As you can read in that post, it was due to the advertising dept. needing promo stuff, ahead of stock or sellers being allowed to talk about a new model.
When they went from the 2000 to the T-7, it was after a number of changes, most of which were major.  The only major change that I am aware of in the T-7 (not the additional jigs), is the shaft changing to Stainless with the tool free nut.  (stainless before, but required a tool)
If they did, I expect it would have to be something major, like a zinc top, similar to the T-4 (less expensive due to better consistency in manufacture).
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Jan

Some, not very specific, info concerning Tormek T8 can be found at:
http://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/Tormek-T8-P700C101.aspx

Jan

Ken S

At this point, I have no specific information about the T8. SADW, I remember your post about the T4. I also remember being annoyed feeling that the forum was not notified by Tormek. Apparently the marketing department did not realize that the "September" issue was on the newsstands well before September.

On behalf of the forum, I have made the request to Stig that he notify the forum at the same time the dealers are notified. That seems fair to me.

As to the original question whether to purchase a T7 or wait: Unless you have an immediate need, I would wait until we know what changes are really in the T8. At that time, you can make up your mind. You might opt for the latest features or for the reduced price of the T7.

I began using my Tormek in the age of the T7. (I bought my first T7 in 2009.) Unlike several veteran members of the forum, I have never used a Supergrind. Over the years I have not seen forum members trade their Supergrinds for the newer T7. Tormek has a commendable philosophy of making newer improvements compatable with older models.

As to the possibility of a machined cast zink top, I also have a T4 with that top. It is a major improvement over the one piece plastic frame of the T3. In addition to the improved accuracy from machining, it eliminates the overheating problem. The T4 is capable of much heavier duty than the T3.

I do not doubt that the T7 could benefit from a machined zink top. However, the T7 already has a steel top. The benefits of a zink top might not be so readily apparent to a sharpener more interested in sharpening than in theory. I do not expect the used market to be flooded with T7s whose owners are clamoring for T8s. If there was a flood of cheap T7s, I would join the other savvy members of the forum in pursuit of an additional Tormek!

When I have sharpen a tool, I use either the T7 or the T4. Since I purchased a work station, I am more likely to use the T7, only because it is already set up at a good height. I do not think about zink tops during this decision process.

I would want to base my purchase decision on full information. I hope the forum will be a timely source of this information.

Ken

Jan

Quote from: Ken S on April 15, 2016, 02:02:31 PM

On behalf of the forum, I have made the request to Stig that he notify the forum at the same time the dealers are notified. That seems fair to me.

Ken, I support your request for forum timely notification.  :)

I have already several times wondered why Tormek does not provide us with relevant info concerning new products which were/are discussed here. Recently it was the kitchen knife sharpener T2 and now the emerging T8.

Jan

jeffs55

What is a T2? The only thing I could find on the internet was YouTube vid in Swedish.

Recently it was the kitchen knife sharpener T2 and now the emerging T8.

Jan
[/quote]
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

Jan

Jeff, Tormek T2 is kitchen knife sharpener with diamond wheel 200 mm. We have discussed it here recently http://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=2064.msg15718#msg15718.
On Tormek web page http://tormek-prokitchen.com/ you can find PDF leaflet for T2 written in Swedish.

Jan

Ken S

Excellent post, Jan. Also, thanks for referring Jeff to the other topic.

I believe when and how the forum becomes aware of new products is a valid topic of discussion. The T2,T4, and T8 are different situations. I will discuss all three separately.

The T2 is a new, very specialized product. It is presently being sold only in Sweden and only through one dealer who specializes in restaurant supply. It is specifically designed for restaurant use. In my opinion, itis somewhat beyond, but close to test marketing. Like products designed for the space program, I believe we will eventually see some of the T2 features in general purpose Tormek models.I have no inside information on this; it is just my gut feeling. I would not be surprised to someday see something like the diamond wheel available as an option, much like the SB and SJ wheels today. I also think the composite honing wheel may be a future option or feature. The T2 is not a secret project, just a very specialized model for a limited market.

The T4 introduction was what stirred up the commotion on the forum. As SADW noted, he first found it in a magazine ad. In this case, I believe the marketing department and the magazine inadvertantly leaked the information prematurely.

Information has been better controlled with the upcoming T8. Anyone who follows Tormek should have known in early February that change was in the wind. Tormek sales usually involve including jigs or accessories. I have not seen a price cut before this.

Through a chance meeting with Stig and a representative of Affinity Tool, I was provided a T4 for forum review and reference. I will be provided a T8 for the same purposes whenthey are delivered. At that point, I will write another thorough review and share my thoughts and experience with it. As with the T4, I suspect I will be the only forum member actively posting who has access to the newest model. (Other forum members are certainly welcome to join in by purchasing a T8 or T4.)

We have  only had contact with Sweden recently. Before Stig, I was anaware of any following from Sweden. I certainly welcome and value Stig's imput. The area where we can improve, and are improving, is when new jigs or accessories are introduced. I am on the routine email mailing list for Advanced Machinery. I first learned of the new gouge jig through this email. I feel we should be notified of new products at the same time as the dealers are notified, not after the fact.

I have shared this concern with Stig. Stig has stated Tormek's preference that the source of new product information be the tormek website, rather than the forum. This is fine with me as long as we receive a courtesy email notifying us to check the website.

As with much of life, we are evolving as a forum. I feel better new product notification is a p ositive step forward.

I am excited to see what new changes the new T8 will have. As the listed price is only thirty five US dollars more than the pre clearance price of the T7, I do not expect to see a diamond wheel included. A machined zink top seems a likely prospect, as well as a new straight edge jig. I would expect the straight edge jig to follow Torkets tradition of being compatable with older models. I would not expectthe zink top to be able to be retrofitted. While I see the zink top as a desirable feature in a new purchase, I do not see not having is an issue with the T7.

We should note that the model numbering sustem for Tormeks does not tell the full story. My two T7s were purchased about two years apart.(The first one was stolen.) Just like Service Packs for Windows operating sustems, the later T7 included features which were not in production with the older T7. We saw the same thing with development of the Supergrind. I have no doubt that the T8 will see improvements over the years. It is always a good time to be a Tormek user.

Ken

Erich Wise

Thanks for the responses.

The sharpening website is what I was referring to in regards to hearing about the new model. I think that Ken's thoughts make a lot of sense. Though I wonder why Tormek would make a whole new model for small changes rather than just an update of the T7?

With these new(ish) wheels coming out, I was hoping for a model with two wheels rather than a strop. I like the idea of a model with the regular wheel and the 4000 stone both attached. But I highly doubt that is what is coming, as Ken states, the price is awfully close to the T7.

Ken S

Erich,

I understand your thoughts. However, assuming the T8 has a cast and machined top, that really is a difference. An improved square edge jig would be welcome, also. The posted ad mentioned something about an improved water trough. I have no idea what that might be. I do not know if any other changes are included.

I would be very surprised if Tormek ever offered a two wheel model. Not only would it require a total redesign, it would run counter to the original idea of the inventor, Torgny Jansson. The recently developed EZYlock shaft, now standard on all new Tormek models, makes quick, tool less work of changing wheels. I also believe that once you become familiar with a Tormek through actual use, that you will find the standard SG wheel very adequate for the majority if not all of your needs. It was the only wheel available for many years. I also believe you will like using the leather honing wheel.

You ask good questions. Keep thinking and posting. Knowledge will make your eventual Tormek purchase more satisfying. Keep in mind that although the T8 may have some nice new features, the longtime workhorse T7 is as good a tool as it has ever been and has been much improved over the years. Between the T7 and the T8, there is no bad choice.

Ken

Erich Wise

Ken,

I welcome any and all improvements. I am happy to have the strop, as I am sure to use it on my gouges and corner chisels and a whole variety of tools. I also think the tool-less wheel change feature is absolutely great. I was just thinking of using the 4000 grit stone as my strop in most cases. I would not want to go duller than where my chisels are now, (not that the strop or even the stone leaves a "dull" edge) though I haven't used the Tormek yet, I am thinking at this point that I'll start with the normal stone, move to the 4000 stone and finish with the finest Shapton. (obviously subject to change)

I can't wait to see what comes of the T8. I look forward to this or the T7 system.

I appreciate your feedback so far, thanks for the time.

Ken S

Erich,

I understand where you are now. Most of us, myself certainly included, have been there. We want the ultimate edges.

Considering the SJ-250 4000 grit wheel costs $386 US, I would suggest you first master the basics of the Tormek with your tools, including the leather honing wheel.  Once you have become skilled through experience, you can decide if you want to pursue the 4000 grit wheel. Your working edges will tell you.

Hang in there.

Ken

SharpenADullWitt

According to Jan's link, I would expect it to have a Zinc top (It is designed to to allow for greater motor heat dissipation).  That is as major a change as when the  Supergrind 2000 went from the square shape to the current shape. (and why the model change)  Tormek recently had a sale (don't know if it is still going on), where they were $100.00 off.  I personally don't expect to see them drop dramatically when the newer models arrives. (didn't see a dramatic drop on the T3 when the T4 came out).  I do expect that will save Tormek some motor issues, but personally I haven't heard of any (just seen some batches on an auction site).
Would love to see what the price of the T2 if it were available in America (friends restaurant).  But I may be tempted to get another, as I have been looking at the Tradesman sharpener that can use the Tormek jigs and it makes the Tormek price, look like pocket change.  However June is a big new woodworking product month, and I have been waiting on the Bosch Reaxx saw, so my budget may be blown that month.

Thanks for giving us a heads up.
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Ken S

SADW makes some good points. The T3 did not fall off the face of the earth when the T4 was introduced. The T3 is as good a machine as it ever was. The T4 is just a much improved machine. The zink machined top not only improved accuracy, it solved the overheating problem. Instead of containing the motor heat like the all plastic housing did, the zink top acts like a radiator to dissapate the heat. If you look at the model descriptions on the tormek.com site, the T3 has a statement not recommending the planer and molding head jigs. The T4 does not have this statement. The T3 will still sharpen everything it ever did. The T4 expands the range. I think the T3 will only remain for sale as a complete unit until present stock is depleted.

I do not expect further production of the T7. Parts, yes; complete units, no. The T7 should benefit from the greater accuracy of a one piece machined top. I do not believe the difference will be as dramatic a change as the T4 was. Also, the T7 does not have the heat problem the T3 did.

I think zink machined tops are the wave of the future for Tormek.

My guess with the water trough improvement will be in the magnet. The present trough with its built in magnet made our home made improvised magnets unnecessary. I think the water trough in the T8 will probably resemble the T2 trough, and be designed to work wet or dry.

I expect we will someday have the option of diamond or diamond like grinding wheels. We can adapt this kind of wheel already, but it is an adaptation. Future Tormek wheels will be specifically designed for the Tormek. Due to manufacturing costs, I do not expect to see them come standard. Just as thousands of satisfied Tormekers have not felt the need to shell out $386 US for the SJ-250, I predict most users will not feel the need to purchase a diamond wheel. In both cases it is nice to have the option.

Just as the T7 did not make the Supergrind extinct, I do not expect the T7 to lose much value. Steve Bottorff examplifies my thoughts on this. In his teaching area he has a very nice fortieth anniversary T7. He felt he should be teaching with the latest model Tormek. However, he uses a very veteran Supergrind in his farmers' market kit. He has switched to the SB-250 grinding wheel, however, the intrepid Supergrind is still on the job.

I welcome the new technology of the T8. Just like with computer operating systems, after several upgrades, the system needs a new designation. I will welcome the T9 when its time comes. Whenever that happens, I expect many of us will still be happily using our Supergrinds and T7s, probably much upgraded.

I should add that these thoughts are speculations. I have no inside information.

Ken

SharpenADullWitt

Ken, if the trough were designed to work dry, then that would lead me to believe something else is coming, as the stones are made to work wet.
8)