News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Bringing Tormek precision to paper wheels

Started by wootz, March 16, 2016, 08:26:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jan

Thanks, Wootz for your prompt response.  :)

So, high speed is recommended.

Jan

Jan

Quote from: SharpenADullWitt on March 17, 2016, 06:43:41 PM
Let me ask you all to define a low speed grinder.  I think we all know there are variable speed models, as well as some models of grinder that make the Tormek look inexpensive.  Typically though, a bench grinder IMHE, is one of two speeds, 3590 rpm or 1725 rpm.

So when you are talking slow speed, are you talking 1725 rpm, or something closer to the Tormek's speed?

Good question, SADW.  :)

I have had in mind the half of the synchronous speed. In the US with 60 Hz current the synchronous speed of an one pole-pair motor is 3600 RPM. In Europe and Australia with 50 Hz current the synchronous speed of an one pole-pair motor is 3000 RPM.

My 8" bench grinder 230V/450W/50Hz has in fact only 2850 RPM which is given by the slip.

Jan

Ken S

I don't think the actual speed is critical (within a range). When I wrote about a low speed grinder, I was referring to the 1725 rpm motors.

As one of the variables in calculating SPM (surface feet per minute) is circumference, using the ten inch wheel would be closer to the higher speed (as well as matching the profile of the T7 wheel).

Ken

wootz

Quote from: Jan on March 17, 2016, 08:52:06 PM
My 8" bench grinder 230V/450W/50Hz has in fact only 2850 RPM which is given by the slip.

Jan, I think my grinder is similar to yours, and you will need an extra 1/2" bushing 1" long.
The 10" wheel is 1" wide, has 3/4" arbor hole, and comes with a 5/8" bushing. I had to push in another 1/2" bushing to fit the shaft.

And better dedicate one grinder to the paper wheel - it takes time and patience to find washers position where the wheel wobbles least, you won't want to start all over again.

wootz

Guys, frankly, I start feeling uncomfortable.
I fear turning Tormek forum into a paper wheel discussion, and it would be my fault as I brought up the subject.
I wanted to show Tormek application to the paper wheels, and let's confine this thread to that.
I am still happy to answer any paper wheel questions via PM, where I can.

Ken S

Wootz, I understand your nervousness. However, you are using Tormek knife jigs and the Tormek BGM-100. You are first grinding the bevel using the Tormek.

Tormek actively advocates using the BGM-100 with a dry grinder, and sometimes with a dry grinder alone for those who do not have a Tormek. I do not see your idea as being any less "Tormek" than this. Nor do I see my idea of using the Tormek with Norton 3X wheels as being any less Tormek related than using the BGM-100 with a dry grinder.

I believe in using the best tools for the job. That is often, but not always, the Tormek. I would not diminish a good tool by pretending it is the best tool for an operation best accomplished by another tool or another tool in conjunction with the Tormek.

Keep thinking!

Ken

wootz

wootz

And after the POC prototype proved working, the final set-up.
With the Optimum PSM200 buffer, the stand height is 23cm, and AB distance 12cm.

Jan

Thanks Wootz for posting images of the final set-up.  :)

I have an 200 mm Optimum bench grinder which is very similar to your polishing machine. The major difference is, that my shaft is shorter and I have to remove the cover of the grinding wheel. I hope the grinder will work as polisher also.

Jan

SharpenADullWitt

Thanks for this.  I am expecting some overtime, due to others health issues, and may try this on an old pillow block setup.  Do these wheels come with a minimum motor size recommendation?
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

wootz

I didn't see any in their manuals and website. As long as you have enough clearance under the wheel...
I happened to try 6" and 8" bench grinders, and a massive buffer with the paper wheels, and have to say that the heavier the thing, the less vibrations you get, and this matters.

Also, 10" paperwheel whobbling is more pronounced, than 8".
Using machined flanges rather than stamped washers reduced that, but this is a common knowledge.