News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Sushi knife sharpening idea

Started by Sharpco, October 14, 2018, 01:09:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sharpco

I came up with the idea for Sushi knife sharpening today.

MB-100(Multi base) and CBN wheels(or Diamond wheels) are needed.

It seems possible to grind whole bevel of sushi knife.

RichColvin

Youngbin,

Why is a flat grind matter for sushi knives?

Kind regards,
Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Ken S

Rich,

I believe some Japanese knives are ground with a single bevel and a hollow on the non beveled side. They are traditionally sharpened with a water stone grinding only on the non beveled side. This is very much like using a hollow grind on a chisel or plane blade on western tools, except that the entire width of the knife becomes the hollow area. By sharpening these blades every day, the time involved with each session is not excessive.

I may be wrong, however, I would leave this kind of knife to flat water stones. If I was sharpening professionally, I would have the fee reflect the amount of starting dullness.

Ken

Sharpco

Quote from: RichColvin on October 14, 2018, 07:56:27 PM
Youngbin,

Why is a flat grind matter for sushi knives?

Kind regards,
Rich

Hello Rich.

Japanese sushi knife has single wide bevel. Asian believes that whole bevel must be grinded. Flat and slightly convex is OK, but concave edge is not.