News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Flat tool holder plastic bearings

Started by topconker, December 26, 2015, 06:01:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: Ken S on January 15, 2016, 03:17:16 AM
Herman, are you using the newer truing tool (TT-50)? I have not found the surface with the TT-50 ground slowly to be very coarse.

I'm still using the older truing tool. I wasn't aware that the newer one gave you anything other than a coarse finish.

Have you tried using the corner of your stoner grader?
Origin: Big Bang

Elden

Quote from: Ken S on January 15, 2016, 03:17:16 AM

I should state that my stone grader is worn out and does not restore to coarse. It will be replaced very soon.

Ken,
   I know this is not the first time you have stated this. Has the coarse side of your stone grader worn all the way through to the fine side? I assume the particles that does the grading are consistently mingled throughout the whole coarse side medium. Surely it isn't like a bar of soap that just doesn't function as well at its center. Maybe Stig can fill us in on that. I am not saying you don't know what you are talking about, far from it! I have been wondering about it for sometime. Would you post a couple of pictures of it?
Elden

Ken S

Herman,

With the newer truing tool (TTS-50) you have some control over the coarseness by varying the speed with the screw feed. I have always used a slow speed, approximately ninety seconds to traverse the fifty millimeter face of the SG-250 grinding wheel. I should try a faster, coarser feed sometime.

Herman and Elden,

There is plenty of material remaining on the coarse side of my stone grader. The surface is just worn smooth. In my next photo session I will photograph it. The sides are also worn smooth. I have used it for seven years. It had a lot of use preparing for and during demoing at the two day show last fall. I did not notice when the wear became critical. I finally noticed the wear when I was loading my T4 into a single ball size bowling ball bag. The bag is another of my ideas. With the SG-200 in its corrugated box flat on the bottom of the bag, the T4 sits atop the wheel box. The bag easily holds all the jigs and accessories needed for most work. The T4 is light and compact enough to be easily carried. It is really "TTG" (Tormek to go). The unused stone grader from the T4 felt very different. The coarse side is coarse.

After I photograph it, I plan to try rubbing against a cinder building block. I almost ruined a two hundred dollar diamond flattening plate flattening my grandfather's old oilstone. I won't kill off the diamond plate or my hands with carborundum powder trying to rescue a twenty nine dollar stone grader. Like grinding wheels, it is a consumable.. The smooth side is also cupped. It has served honorably and has been retired.

I might try using the grinding wheel dressing stick with it. The dressing stick is harder than the stone grader. It should remove material from the stone grader, but may not restore the needed coarseness.

The next time you visit a Tormek dealer, try feeling a brand new stone grader and compare it with your well used one at home. You, too, might be surprised!

Ken

topconker

Sorry guys, need yet more help!
Just took delivery of a SVM-45 grinding jig for knives which was one of the main things I intend to use my Tormek with.
Looking at the instructions on the web and indeed on the box the jig has come in it states to roughly set up the angle with the universal support then final adjustment with the handle that turns in and out so giving the final angle.
The jig's handle I've received does not turn, indeed its moulded to the shaft, have I been seen off?
TC

Ken S

Hold the jig in your hand by the end which holds the knife and the other end pointing up. If you see threads sticking out og the top, turn the plactic part to the right. If you see no threads, turn to the left. Make sure you have loosened the locking knob.

If none of this works, return the jig for a replacement.

Keep us posted.

Ken

topconker

Sorry Ken, there's no locking knob, think I have a pup.

Ken S

Is your jig a new unit from a dealer?

Ken

topconker

Yers it came in it's original box.
I've now managed to unscrew the handle up and off so that's good but there is no locking knob, perhaps this is an older model?
The handle is very stiff to move so guess it wont slip whilst I'm using it.
TC

Ken S

I wouldn't mess with it. How many times have we all "sort of fixed" a tool which never works well. Return it and get a properly working jig.

Ken

Herman Trivilino

I thought the locking knob had been discontinued.

An adjustable SVM-45 was needed prior to the micro adjust feature being added to the US. Now I find myself turning the micro adjust far more often than the SVM-45 handle.

Origin: Big Bang