News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Removing SG-250 Grindstone from Tormek T-7

Started by paulem, January 01, 2016, 10:06:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulem

It is time to change the SG-250 Grindstone from my Tormek T-7 to exchange it for a new one.  I have tried the wrench tap (harder and harder till it is wrench pounding) method described in the literature included with the new Grindstone and have had no success in removing the nut that holds the Grindstone to the shaft.  I have made sure that my orientation is the same as shown in the illustration.  I have treated it as a right hand thread nut as shown by the illustration in the instructions so that it has to be turned clockwise for removal of the nut.  I have removed the Grindstone and shaft from the machine and see no evidence of rust.  There is a small amount of a grayish deposit around the circumference of the outside washer inboard of the nut.  Does anyone have suggestions on what I am doing wrong and how to get the nut off?  I appreciate any help. 

Ken S

The standard recommendation is penetrating oil and several days.

I think a better long term solution is to replace the standard right hand thread shaft with the new and much improved left hand thread EZYlock shaft. From personal experience, I placed a piece of label tape with an arrow pointing away from me when the grinding wheel is on the right hand side. Just look at the arrow, hold the leather honing wheel secure and push the grinding wheel away (in the direction of the arrow). It works very well.

Keep us posted.

Ken

grepper

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: paulem on January 01, 2016, 10:06:09 PM
It is time to change the SG-250 Grindstone from my Tormek T-7 to exchange it for a new one.

See if a magnet is attracted to the main shaft, or just look at the patina, to see if it's stainless steel or tool steel. If tool steel it's likely melded itself into the grindstone. I would just break the grindstone away with a hammer. Be careful you don't bend the main shaft.

Or you may just want to invest in the MSK-250 upgrade kit along with the new grindstone, and then you won't need to worry about getting the old grindstone off the old main shaft.
Origin: Big Bang

Ken S

Excellent question, grepper. No, the T7 was introduced in September of 2007. The EZYlock became standard in January of 2010. See the "news archive" tab on tormek.com.

http://tormek.com/international/en/about-tormek/news-archive/

I upgraded the shaft on my original T7 and was pleased.

Ken

Ken S

At the risk of seeming like a barbarian, once plenty of penetrated has had a few days to work its magic, I would try using a wrench on the nut and a pipe wrench on the shaft. The teeth marks can be filed away later.

Ken

grepper

Like others have mentioned, soak the thing in penetrating oil for a few days and, since you don't care about the grindstone, then try (barbarically) :) using a torch to heat up the nut.  That can work wonders sometimes.

In the long run, especially if you are using it enough to need to replace the grindstone, I think Herman's advice to just get the stainless shaft/EzyLock is good advice.

jeffs55

Do you have an impact driver? The "impact" may help loosen the nut assuming that you have it turning in the correct direction. Take it to your local tire store and ask them to use their air wrench on it. Just make sure they have it turning the correct way.
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

SharpenADullWitt

Quote from: paulem on January 01, 2016, 10:06:09 PM
I have treated it as a right hand thread nut as shown by the illustration in the instructions so that it has to be turned clockwise for removal of the nut. 

NO, right hand threads are normal threads, and COUNTER clockwise.

See this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IX96a9WoAJE

Left hand threads are clockwise removal.
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Ken S

Jeff,

Up until the very last second, you had the award for most original suggestion. As moderator, I really should disqualify Randal's post because it makes us look somewhat less than brilliant :(.

Well done, Randal.  :).

This illustrates why I made the label with the arrow for loosening the EZYlock. We should all have "Righty tighty, lefty loosy" posted on our shop wall!

Do keep us posted, Paul. Jeff, remember your tire shop idea. Someone will need it in the future.

Ken

jeffs55

Ken S, I wish you would refer to posters by their screen name. Who is "Randal"? I actually had forgotten that Tormek shaft threads were the normal right hand pattern hence my admonition to remind the air wrench wielder to have his tool turning in the correct manner. Which is why I used the word "correct" instead of the word "right".

Ken S

Point well taken, Jeff. I will refer to posters by their screen names in the future.

How easy it is for us to forget the most common things. That is why I made the arrow label for the EZYlock.

Ken

Elden

Not to be difficult, but I disagree. The given names that are used, are available to all who read the forum posts. They are listed in the profile info. If we shorten a user name to an acronym, is that any different? For an example: SADW for SharpenADullWitt. The first time I read that, it took some thinking to figure that one out. Personally, I consider the challenge of learning names (whether at work, church, the forum, etc.), well worth the effort.
Elden

jeffs55

Quote from: kb0rvo on January 04, 2016, 08:36:09 PM
   Not to be difficult, but I disagree. The given names that are used, are available to all who read the forum posts. They are listed in the profile info. If we shorten a user name to an acronym, is that any different? For an example: SADW for SharpenADullWitt. The first time I read that, it took some thinking to figure that one out. Personally, I consider the challenge of learning names (whether at work, church, the forum, etc.), well worth the effort.
It is quite different, what else would SADW stand for except SharpenADullWitt? It certainly would not be mistaken for "grepper", or "refugio" or "Topconker". Why would/should you have to go to profile info to determine who is being referenced? How many extra steps is that and then you have to go back to the forum. OK, it is one extra step but then you have to open another window or step back to the previous page to be where you started from. This is a forum about learning and sharing advice on the Tormek system. Not about searching user IDs. I too, have looked to see who was posting and where they might live but not to see their real name . Their real name is unimportant to me and as you mentioned it might not even be what they said it was. We might have spies on the Tormek site! As I mentioned, all you should have to do is scroll up or down to see who is talking/referenced etc. It maintains the work flow.