News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Are T7 accessories compatible with 2000 model

Started by Cajunwoodcarver, December 12, 2015, 08:09:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cajunwoodcarver

I have a chance to buy a nice used 2000 but want to replace honing wheel with a new 8" wheel. Can I use the  T7 wheel? Also, does $450 sound reasonable for a 2000 with numerous jigs and guides?

SharpenADullWitt

2000 and T7 accessories are the same for the most part.  The exception that I am aware of, is the early 2000 models had a square frame and the sticker from the later models that shows the wheel size, won't work.  The honing wheels should be the same size. (why would you want to replace it?)
Does $450 sound reasonable, is a whole other matter that the answer is, it depends.
You realize it has no warranty on the older one? (there is even some debate between me and the moderator over if a warranty is transferable on a newer one)
You don't list the jigs it has.  First, are they ones you would use?
Can you see this one in person (verses buying off of Ebay)?
Can you easily remove the stone off the shaft?   Has the shaft been upgraded to the stainless shaft (first thing I did on my used one, that I purchased with all the turning jigs for $188)? No weird noises to the unit?
What are the upgrades going to cost you that you would want, plus  the purchase, verses a new model?
Are you sure this is for you, or is this because you think it will be instantly easy to sharpen? (this is where I would like to see more stores demo it, rather then just have a box sitting there)  Realize there is a learning curve.

That is around the price I saw three that were listed locally for more, go for on Ebay. (including a square frame model)
For that price, I would want to make sure it had some options that came out during the 2000 run, like the threaded shaft (verses the solid one, mine had both), the stainless shaft for the wheels, and jigs I would use (I don't currently turn, but it is something I am going to learn). I would also want to see it in person as I did mine.
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, Cajunwoodcarver.

Good response, SADW.

The T7 parts should be fully interchangeable with the 2000.

As to whether or not the price is good, consider that a new leather honing wheel will add sixty to seventy dollars. Presently you should be able to purchase a new T7 with free shipping for $665. If you order quickly, you get the rotating base and cover thrown in (an $84 value). Admittedly, these are not the first two accessories would add, and many get along fine without either of them. You should keep in mind that a new T7 comes with an ironclad ten year warranty. You also get the new stainless steel EZYlock shaft, the improved water trough, the improved TT-50 truing tool, and the micro adjust universal support.

Again, many do fine without the updated accessories. However, an older 2000 may have a rusted shaft and worn grinding wheel. I have recently discovered that even the stone grader may be worn.

I am not opposed to buying used tools. I have often stated my belief that new Tormek users are usually better served with a new Tormek. If you were an old Tormek hand and the price were nearer $250, I would be tempted. As far as the extra included jigs, many of us, myself included, have jigs we have never used. An unused jig is no bargain unless you have need for it.

Do keep posting.

Ken

SharpenADullWitt

One other thread to read and it shows that upgrading may cost you more then new, if the tools aren't what your looking for:
http://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=2534.0
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Cajunwoodcarver

Thanks guys. Good points. I'm still leaning towards new but wanted to consider this 2000

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: Cajunwoodcarver on December 12, 2015, 08:09:31 PM
I have a chance to buy a nice used 2000 but want to replace honing wheel with a new 8" wheel. Can I use the  T7 wheel? Also, does $450 sound reasonable for a 2000 with numerous jigs and guides?

I think so, yes. A new grindstone costs almost half that. If it has a good grindstone.
Origin: Big Bang

Ken S

With all due respect, Herman, I disagree. When you add in the cost of the new leather honing wheel, and factor in the substanyial improvements the 2000 does not have ( and can be added), the cost is too close to a new unit and it has no warranty

Ken