News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Tormek TS-740 Sharpening Station

Started by Ken S, November 27, 2015, 02:32:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

Three things have made me decide to purchase a Tormek TS-740 Sharpening Station:

First, after six years, I have grown tired of trying to work using cobbled together temporary stands which are generally the wrong height. The latest set up was two days of working on a beautiful workbench of excellent quality which was too high.

Second is my red mechanic's rolling tool chest. I have had this for twenty years. It is the only purchased new tool chest I own. In the chaos of sharing my "shop" with a car and even during moving, I always knew exactly where my mechanic's tools were. I have enough Tormek "kit" that I want this kind of organization for it.

Third is a concept from my many years of film photography. For a long time, my single most expensive piece of photo equipment was my 50mm "normal" lens. This was during the era when large "macro zoom" lenses were all the rage and the normal lenses were  were generally left in a drawer. I am not pleading poverty; my 50mm lens is a Leitz (Leica) f1.4 Summilux. It was and is a superb lens. Over thirty years ago it cost me $625 and it was a used demonstrator lens. Back then the same money would have mostly covered a Tormek and an old  truck. My point is that I realized the importance of investing most heavily in something which I would use day in and day out rather than something exotic for occasional use. I will use the Sharpening Station every time I use the Tormek. When I am not actually using the Tormek, it will keep my kit well stored and organized.

There is a myth that the Sharpening Station is overpriced. For years I have owned several very old second hand Kennedy machinist chests. These make excellent tool storage. Mine were used in factories for decades before being in my workshop. Kennedy builds top quality products, the industry standards. I feel the Tormek Sharpening Station is equal in quality with Kennedy. $699, the price of the Tormek Work Station, is comparable with Kennedy. Shipping costs are also comparable.

The Tormek has one distinct advantage over the Kennedy products. It is designed specifically for use with the Tormek. It is adjustable within the optimum height range and takes up very little floor space.

My purchase will be within the next week and I will post my thoughts on the Sharpening Station.

Ken