News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

New Honing wheel

Started by Don Green, November 25, 2015, 06:06:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Green

Received a new wheel with no instructions as to set-up. >:(
What kind of oil, how much, need some idea as to how to apply???
Can someone email me a copy of instructions as to how to condition the wheel before use?

Don G

Ken S

Welcome to the active forum, Don.

I have prepared four leather honing wheels. Either a light oil such as three-in-one or mineral oil works. The oil conditions the leather to not absorb too much honing compound. I wish I could tell you an exact amount. The trick is to apply enough oil without over saturating the leather. Go slow. Applying the oil with a rag has been suggested on the forum. I think applying it with a small paint brush also works. It is not an exact science.

Now for the instructions:

Do you have a copy of the Tormek Handbook? One should have come with your Tormek. If by chance you do not have a copy, I suggest you email Tormek support (support.tormek.se) in Sweden. They should be able to help you download the latest version online.

Ken

jeffs55

The age old question appears once more. I am sure you will get several methods but here is my advice. Most any machine oil will do such as 3 in 1. Above all else, apply sparingly. You may mount the wheel and turn on the Tormek. With the wheel turning, dribble the oil all the way around one time and smear with your finger as it turns. The speed of the wheel is so slow that with light pressure you will not burn yourself. Smear the oil until it is no longer puddled on the surface. Allow the oil to spread for a while and see if it has spread to the edge of the wheel. If not, reapply sparingly again and follow the above. Check after a few hours for coverage. If the wheel is still not covered, apply more oil but by the drop at 12, 2,4,6,8 and 10 o'clock. Spread with your finger real good towards the wheel edges. Do not apply any more at this time. Spread some honing compound all around the wheel. It should adhere even if the wheel were dry but better with it oiled. Smear that with your fingers until you get 90 % or more wheel coverage. It should not be caked but a light haze is what you are looking for. Do not apply to much oil or it will be a mess. It is better to apply a little at a time. The wheel should not be wet to the touch. Good luck.
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

Ken S

Herman Trivilino

There is oil in the honing compound, so in that sense oil is not really needed. It's purpose is to speed up the process of getting the honing wheel impregnated for the first time ever with honing compound.

To be able to download the handbook, register here ...

http://tormek.com/international/en/account/register/
Origin: Big Bang