News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Good job, Tormek

Started by Ken S, November 11, 2015, 03:52:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

I am in the process of photographing the steps of a new kitchen knife from in the plastic through the Tormek stages of sharpening. The photos are taken at approximately life size and enlarged. They clearly show the condition of the edge. As part of the project, to add a more scientific basis, I have recorded the BESS readings of edge sharpness. (These have been discussed on the forum previously.)

The BESS scale is from 0 to 2000 grams. "0" is the amount of added weight in grams needed break the known filament with a new double edge roar blade. "2000" is the amount of added weight in grams needed to break the filament with the dull inner surface of a broken double edge razor blade of butter knife.

I made two readings along the knife edge and averaged the two readings.

The new knife, right out of the plastic packaging, read 482 and 336. This averages 409. The BESS scale lists 375 to 475 as "Typical High End Cutlery (factory edge). For a thirteen US dollar Kitchenaid knife from my local grocery store, this seems quite respectable.

I began with the Tormek SG-250 grinding wheel carefully graded fine. The two BESS readings were 306 and 358. This gave an average of 332. This also is quite respectable, but not the final product. The two bevels and edges in the photographs looked similar, with the Tormek edge being noticeably cleaner, but with a similar scratch pattern.

The real visual difference when the edge was honed with Tormek Honing Compound on the leather honing wheel. It was much more polished. The two BESS readings were 204 and 166. This gave an average of 185., fifty per cent better than the top edge typical of new high end cutlery.

Being a stern but fair minded judge, I am willing to admit that the higher new reading may have been an unusually dull spot of the blade, and that the true average may be better than 409. which, as is, is quite respectable. Also, I made a third reading of the leather honed edge. That reading was 214. Substituting that for the 166 reading would give an average of 209, still outstanding.

I will continue the experiment to include using the 4000 grit SJ-250. I will post the results for that and eventually the photographs.

I made every attempt to follow Tormek's "orthodox" knife sharpening technique in every way and used only the Tormek. I consider these results quite repeatable by any forum member willing to work carefully, work through the learning curve and follow the prescribed method.

"Factory new" is a good starting point for Tormek sharpening, but only the starting point.

Ken

OnealWoodworking

Quote from: Ken S on November 11, 2015, 03:52:28 PM

Snip...

"Factory new" is a good starting point for Tormek sharpening, but only the starting point.

Ken

Very well said.  :)

I use MY Tormek for when I want 'better' than factory new...