News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Member search function

Started by Elden, November 07, 2015, 01:14:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elden

Ken, Stig:
   I was going to follow Ken' s suggestion about reading through Jeff and Ionut's posts. I tried doing member search for Ionut (using search for members function) and received the following message:

Database Error
Please try again. If you come back to this error screen, report the error to an administrator.

I can find them on the members list but wonder why I can't get the "search for members" function to work?
Elden

Ken S

Elden

I have had the same difficulty! I will run the question by Stig, who will probably run it by the Tormek computer guy in Sweden. I'll keep you posted.

It is worth the effort to find these posts.

Ken

Herman Trivilino

Evidently the search engine is case sensitive. Look at the member list and you'll see that the username is "ionut". Type that into the search engine and you'll see his posts.
Origin: Big Bang

Elden

That doesn't work here, Herman. I had already tried that but tried it again. I tried "Ken S", "Herman Trivilino", "Jeff Farris", "ionut" and "kb0rvo" but get the same error message for all.
Elden

Herman Trivilino

Well, when I just checked all I see are messages posted today. Something must have buggered up the data base.
Origin: Big Bang

Ken S

Elden,

Try clicking on "view all members". Then click on the first letter. It does work, but I think the old library card catalog was faster..... :o

Ken

Ken S

Herman,

Earlier today I typed "tormek warranty" in the search area. The search brought a number of 2015 posts as well as older ones going back to 2008. I just repeated the same search and got the same result. As an old telephone troubleshooter, I would call this "no trouble found". That in no way implies that there is no trouble, just that it did not happen during my test. I will keep testing occasionally and encourage you to post again if the trouble continues.

Ken

ps I just noticed a change in the T4 warranty. The old warranty was for seven years for non commercial use. The new warranty now still covers seven years, and adds two year coverage for commercial and educational use. This is definitely not a hobby machine!

SharpenADullWitt

I think they were trying with the advanced search functions (typically starts through the regular search box).  Pretty sure the database was borked at some point in time, probably long before where it is now (no easy way to rebuild it).  Thought the forum was started by Jeff Farris, and maybe on his old site and computers (please correct me if I am wrong), before Tormek proper took over it.  That leaves a cold repair trail, that even if one could go back on, you tend to lose more in the process going forward (loss of posts).

Viewing all posts by clicking the member name is still working, but it isn't the same functionality.
I know one can site search via Google and various search engines, but don't know how to insert all the variables (particularly the posters name).
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)