News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Tormek malfunctioning

Started by Ken S, November 06, 2015, 12:32:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

We occasionally have posts about Tormek units not functioning properly. Sometimes it is motor related; sometimes the problem is a bent shaft or bent washer. These troubles are rare, but they do occur.

I have discussed the warranty and repair situation with both Stig and representatives of Affinity Tool, the US importer. Both have told me the preferred solution is to contact either the national importer or Tormek support (email: support.tormek.se). A list of national importers is available on tormek.com.

We of the forum can offer tea, sympathy, and advice. We cannot get anything repaired. We will gladly answer posts related to using the Tormek. We have had some lengthy and unproductive repair related topics.

Please help Tormek help you. Register your Tormek. Tormek offers a very generous warranty. Do not ignore it; register. If you purchase a used Tormek, make sure he seller helps you transfer the warranty.

Ken

SharpenADullWitt

Ken you need to modify this post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think this was discussed in a post with Stig before and the warranty is NON transferable.  This means only the original registered (although the registration is for the extended warranty according to their site), owner.

That said, NOT ALL MALFUNCTIONING questions, are warranty related.  (used or older Tormeks)  We've has some good rebuild discussions as well.
Something to consider.
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Ken S

Your point is well taken SADW.

Not all repair work is done under warranty, and we can give helpful advice. I remember the previous post and will ask Stig to clarify the warranty transferance question.

I think the best course of action for this topic is to mercifully remove it. I will do so in a few days after the warranty question is settled.

Ken

OnealWoodworking

Quote from: Ken S on November 07, 2015, 12:09:27 PM
Your point is well taken SADW.

Not all repair work is done under warranty, and we can give helpful advice. I remember the previous post and will ask Stig to clarify the warranty transferance question.

I think the best course of action for this topic is to mercifully remove it. I will do so in a few days after the warranty question is settled.

Ken

Any topics related to Tormek 'problems' or issues need to stay so people that actually use the 'search' button can more quickly learn how to fix their machine and get back up and running.

I came here tonight to do a 'search' and see if others had any issues with very hot motors. The search does not work for anyone if the thread about that gets deleted...  :-\

Ken S

Good post, ONeal. I have no intention of deleting any topics concerning difficulties with the Tormek. Like you, I believe our readers are entitled to the straight scoop, whether glowing or not.

My point was not to discourage posting, but, to encourage people with possible warranty problems to contact their national importers or Tormek support. If any doubt exists, or if the machine is out of warranty, by all means, post. If one reads my prior posts, I have not only been the chief Tormek cheerleader, I hace also been the chief Tormek critic. I plan to continue in both roles. I have deleted obvious spam, but will not delete legitimate posts.

My thought on deleting this topic was my feeling that I wrote the original post poorly. I can delete it or leave it. I don't feel the original post is helpful or clear. Please post your thoughts. I am the moderator, not the dictator.

Ken

SharpenADullWitt

You may not have a choice, if you provided inaccurate information on the warranty.  The only reason I could think that they wouldn't want THIS PARTICULAR (not repair in general) posts, is to show that people have confusion, and to clarify it.  If they choose the clarification method, then I would think the first post will be modified, and maybe locked.
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)