News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Getting a scalpel sharp mirror edge

Started by Grinder, October 08, 2015, 01:27:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

Bravo, Grinder!!!!!!

Keep up the good work and keep on posting.

Ken

GrodanB

And for those of us that do not want to use the dishwasher I got a reasonable result with electronic cleaner (isopropanol) and a scotch-bright sponge.

Started with turning the honing wheel backwards and using a piece of metal as a scraper. Then applying some cleaner to dissolve the paste on the wheel. Still turning backward and using the sponge I got it quite clean fast enough.

Thanks for the inspiration to clean it... Shall test and see if I get a improved honing now. Had way to much oil but no idea how to remove it.

Now I'll shall test to sharpen my new HDC chisels from Hultafors... claims to be sharp but I seem to have developed new standard since I bought a T7...

Ken S

Grinder, you are inspiring me to gather up my courage and try using my Melitta coffee filter as a way to dump my Tormek water safely. i have wanted to try that for several years. i will commit to doing that after my next sharpening session.

in case one of the side effects is moderator fatality, I will leave our moderator man in Greenland, Rob, in charge.

Wish me luck.

Ken

GrodanB

Just tested to hone a HVK knife from Hultafors. Much better result. Got the factory edge razor sharp. Although removal of the grindmarks would probably make it hairsplitting sharp.

Recommend all that have to much oil to test cleaning the leather wheel.

Grinder

Quote from: Ken S on October 12, 2015, 02:10:20 AM
Grinder, you are inspiring me to gather up my courage and try using my Melitta coffee filter as a way to dump my Tormek water safely. i have wanted to try that for several years. i will commit to doing that after my next sharpening session.

in case one of the side effects is moderator fatality, I will leave our moderator man in Greenland, Rob, in charge.

Wish me luck.

Ken
Quote from: Ken S on October 12, 2015, 02:10:20 AM

Wish me luck.

Ken

Hi Ken my used water goes on my grapevine my wife thinks it will help them grow and in the UK we need all the help they can get as the sunshine is not the strongest.

bobl

Hi Grinder.
Brilliant trial and error there. Fantastic results on the dishwasher route.
Every day is a school day.
Nice 1
Bob The Knife Grinder

Ken S

Bob,

Welcome back. I have been wondering how your new business has been progrissing. Please continue posting.

Ken