News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

the state of the forum

Started by Ken S, November 04, 2015, 12:00:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

Recent posts have introduced creative ideas from around the globe. This is very exciting! The forum is becoming more global!

Another development is the increasing number of posts. When I joined the forum in 2009, no one except the founder and moderator had more than fifty posts or had logged in a full day. I remember when the first member passed the fifty post mark and was elevated to "junior member". As I recall, it was either Herman or Ionut. (I was the second.) The topics with the most replies were typically in the low twenties. The member with the most topics was epw with seventeen.

The present typical topics were also staples then: the stone grader, grinding square, setting bevels, etc. Herman's small knife jig was the first forum designed and made tool. We are now seeing new tool designs by Jan, Wootz, and others.

We are also seeing posts which include higher mathematics. The first was Dutchman's grinding angle trig work. This provided a scientific support for my simple kenjig. We are now seeing very impressive formulations by Jan and Herman.

We are going beyond words. Herman posted a link to his you tube explaining his small knife jig. Recently we have added links to Steve's videos.

Photos have become part of the forum, another huge step forward thanks to pioneering efforts by Grepper (Mark), Rob, and others.

The future looks bright for this forum. I am proud to be a member. Keep up the good work and keep posting!

Ken