News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Difference between SVM-45 and SVM-140

Started by Sharpco, December 01, 2017, 01:10:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sharpco

I feel uncomfortable to use SVM-45 compared to SVM-140.
Because SVM-45 is heavier and has the different design around the small screw.
Why did Tormek design two jigs differently?

cbwx34

Quote from: sharpco on December 01, 2017, 01:10:06 PM

The SVM-45 is actually an updated design... the older model was similar to the SVM-140... which just hasn't been updated.

What is it exactly that makes you "uncomfortable"?  ???  Functionally, there's little difference.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

brettgrant99

I don't have any really flexible knives, so I rarely use the -140.  My big slicers I freehand, and with boning knives, I just put a little extra pressure at the tip end to eliminate the vibrations.

I also don't clamp knives in overly tight.

If I sharpened professionally, I might worry more about these things a little more.

Jan

The attached picture of the new and old knife jig may explain why the screw is recessed in the adjustable clamp.

Jan

Ken S

I actually use five Tormek knife jigs, Two SVM 45s (one older design, one newer design), a SVM100; a SVzm140; and the short blade tool. The 100 is the much older design. This probably sounds excessive, however, it lets me quickly go back and forth between chef's knives, slicers, and paring knives with essentially no jig adjustments. It is very fast and very accurate.

I like the latest design of the SVM45. It uses the new zinc casting and machining. Actually, I go back and forth between the jigs. They all work fine for me.

Ken

Sharpco

Quote from: cbwx34 on December 01, 2017, 03:25:22 PM
Quote from: sharpco on December 01, 2017, 01:10:06 PM

The SVM-45 is actually an updated design... the older model was similar to the SVM-140... which just hasn't been updated.

What is it exactly that makes you "uncomfortable"?  ???  Functionally, there's little difference.

cbwx34.

First, Heavier.

Two, I wear thin gloves. So when I tight small screw, SVM-140 is more comfortable.

brettgrant99

Quote from: Jan on December 01, 2017, 05:46:47 PM
The attached picture of the new and old knife jig may explain why the screw is recessed in the adjustable clamp.

Jan
That explains how I ground my jig  ;D

cbwx34

Quote from: sharpco on December 01, 2017, 07:25:38 PM
cbwx34.

First, Heavier.

Two, I wear thin gloves. So when I tight small screw, SVM-140 is more comfortable.

I agree with you about the weight... I see no advantage, and in fact, a bit of a hinderance in making light passes.  I too, found that a bit of an odd feature for an upgrade.

For the front screw though... I don't tighten it.  I think it's a misconception that it should be tightened.  If the front screw is tightened, it defeats the ability of the back knob to apply the leverage needed to clamp the knife.  For either jig (new or old), I just spin the front screw, usually with my thumb, just enough to match the width of the knife, (while holding the clamp closed with my other hand).  Then secure the knife with the back knob.  Also, if done this way, you'll find the back knob doesn't need to be turned with a lot of force to secure the knife.  If it's a "full flat grind" knife, I might even loosen the front screw slightly before tightening the back, for a better "fit".

In fact, I just looked at the manual, it says to "Adjust the jig with the small screw to fit the thickness of the knife"... so basically the same meaning.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

Sharpco,

I can understand why you prefer the older design of the SVM-45. You should be able to find the older model. I found one of the original square edge jigs long after they were discontinued. I purchased it through Big Bear Tools, the agent for Western Canada. A Canadian forum friend helped me.

I suggest you check with your country's agent. I would be surprised if numerous dealers didn't have them in stock.

I would also suggest you purchase a second jig. You have many knives to sharpen. You don't want a broken jig to halt operations.

Ken