News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Sharpening the new 1 1/4" Roughing Gouge

Started by GIPPER, July 20, 2011, 07:17:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GIPPER

Out of the box, the "Pinnacle" 1 ¼" Roughing Gouge worked really well and I was impressed.  But working on Project No. 2, I felt the tool was becoming dull and decided to sharpen it with the Tormek.  Two questions became apparent.
After the initial set up, I found that the center of the tool was in full contact with the bevel face.  On the other hand, the left side contacted the grinding wheel on the edge of the bevel.  On the right side, the contact was on the heel of the bevel.  I think I set the tool in the SVS-50 just right, so I was surprised to find the different contact points within the full bevel surface.  Does this sound right or do you think I might be doing something wrong?

The second concern I have is this.  In the process of grinding (about the same as re-shaping in this case), it is taking a very long time to re-shape the tool with the Tormek 250 grind stone, so that the Wheel fully contacts the bevel face in all places.  The tool is said to be made of High-Speed-Steel, HSS.  Should I be using a different grinder with this type steel?  Gipper

Steve Brown

Gipper,
My wife just switched to carbide tipped turning tools and it's worked very well for her.
Steve

Jeff Farris

Grade your stone to coarse and use a little pressure against the stone.
Jeff Farris

GIPPER

Good morning Jeff.
I'm not sure how to interpret "use a Little pressure against the stone."  Does that mean "Light Pressure"?  I've been pressing the grader as hard as I can against the stone.  Gipper

Jeff Farris

No, I meant use some pressure when grinding.
Jeff Farris