News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Homemade honing jig & cleaver support

Started by wootz, August 15, 2015, 02:15:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wootz

Thank you, Jan, for the praise, though 'invention' is a too much word for this simple application.
There are many blades that are easier sharpened away from the edge, practically all curved knives.
I was thinking of a more elegant substitute to my original wooden block, that I wouldn't be ashamed of in front of the customer, and when I was considering reproducing yours, it occurred to me I might try the BGM-100 brackets.

Yes, I had to drill two 6mm holes in the sides of the BGM bracket for the bottom bolts, but that's the only modification needed.
The base BGM bracket fits the existing threaded holes just perfectly, I used the same screws.
And the 2nd bracket that holds the US, is mounted maximum outwards.
(And in this position, for the script the new ConstantHorizontal = 135)

This solution can't be applied to the new T8 with its cast sleeves, though.

Stickan

Hi,

Never thought of using the BGM-100 brackets, nice work!

Its interesting how we are, I find it way easier to sharpen knifes against the stones direction, as I feel I have better control. It keeps the stone square, makes shorter burr and faster honing.
That being said, both ways gives a sharp edge.

Best,
Stig

Jan

Wootz, thanks for additional details concerning an alternative usage of the BGM-100 set.  :)

I'm a big fan of your original solution shown at the beginning of this thread because it allows for unprecedented large range of USB's settings in both directions. This makes it possible to sharpen in a horizontal position, which has some advantages.

Even more, this solution can be applied to the new T8 with its cast sleeves.  ;)

Jan

AKor.001

Jan

Oleg, welcome to the forum!  :)
Very nice sharpening system, congratulations! Thanks for posting your video.

Jan

wootz

Hello Oleg,
I like everything in your device.
Love how you solved the stones positioning relative to the knife jig support, and the support reciprocation.
Yours looks better than many guided sharpeners sold by famous brands.

Well, the horizontal bar of your knife jig support could have been longer, as at present it cannot accommodate really long knives.
Something like the US-400 for long knives e.g. http://www.hobbylegno.biz/en/universal-support-us-400-for-sharpening-very-long-knives-for-the-sharpening-machines-tormek-mod-t3-and-t7.html

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, Oleg, and thank you for reviving a most interesting topic.

This topic is interesting for many reasons. First is Wootz' very clever jig. Also of note is Stig's comment about grinding away from the knife using the universal support in the horizontal position. I must have been asleep at the switch with this topic; I am pleased to see it return.

Both Wootz' jig and Stig's comment are examples of why the Tormek is not just a one trick pony. The techniques described in the handbook are good, well tested, starting points. A Tormek user may never vary from them and have a lifetime of very sharp tools. Or, he may explore new and interesting techniques.

Great work!

Ken

WolfY

Nice creativity of you Woots and of Oleg. Love it.
Giving an advice is easy.
Accepting an advice is good.
Knowing which advice is worth adopting and which not, is a virtue.

AlfA01

This is and old thread, but I was hoping to gain some knowledge on the DIY tool. 

How does this work with the rotation of the stropping wheel?  I've always heard to strop with the rotation and grind against the rotation.

Great looking jig....I hope to build myself one soon. 

RickKrung

If you are asking about Wootz's Frontal Vertical Base (FVB), there is quite a bit of historical discussion on this that is searchable.  Too much to try to summarize for you.  I didn't realize he had developed the FVB that long ago.  For some reason, I thought he came out with it in late 2017 or early 2018.

Go to the "Search" function (the button in the header above the post listings, not the white box in the upper right corner - see image below) and search on:

"frontal vertical base"

And start reading.  Then, figure out what you need to know and ask about that.

If you are asking about that alternative device for use with flat stoned, dunno nuttin'.

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

cbwx34

Quote from: AlfA01 on May 26, 2020, 07:17:17 AM
How does this work with the rotation of the stropping wheel?  I've always heard to strop with the rotation and grind against the rotation.

It allows you to do exactly that.... 

https://youtu.be/UckPmizllk0
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

AlfA01

Quote from: cbwx34 on May 26, 2020, 02:07:43 PM
Quote from: AlfA01 on May 26, 2020, 07:17:17 AM

It allows you to do exactly that.... 

https://youtu.be/UckPmizllk0

Very helpful....thank you.

AlfA01

Quote from: RickKrung on May 26, 2020, 09:13:48 AM
If you are asking about Wootz's Frontal Vertical Base (FVB), there is quite a bit of historical discussion on this that is searchable.  Too much to try to summarize for you.  I didn't realize he had developed the FVB that long ago.  For some reason, I thought he came out with it in late 2017 or early 2018.

Go to the "Search" function (the button in the header above the post listings, not the white box in the upper right corner - see image below) and search on:

"frontal vertical base"

And start reading.  Then, figure out what you need to know and ask about that.

If you are asking about that alternative device for use with flat stoned, dunno nuttin'.

Rick

Thanks for the reply.  I've just joined the forum and I have a lot of reading to do.  Lol.  I've also just ordered my T-8 and am anxiously waiting for it to arrive. 

I do a lot of sharpening for my customers, including grinding chainsaw chains and repairing bars.  I needed to sort out a way to strop butcher cleavers with the Tormek and stumbled up on this thread.