News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

shorter length chisel with svh-60

Started by cks, June 08, 2015, 03:48:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cks

I'am trying to sharpen some Stanley 2 3/4" long chisels using the svh-60 jig. Am I missing something, because to get a 25 degree angle the jig will be hitting the grinding wheel. Can anyone shed some light on what i'm doing wrong.

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, Curtis.

I have an old set of Stanley 60 chisels with short blades. I will double check tomorrow in the shop. I recall them being at the very edge of being too short for the SE-76 jig. I happen to have both the older and newer square edge jigs. I will measure my Stanley chisels and try with both jigs tomorrow and post.

You might need the short tool jig, but don't do anything until I check back.

Ken

cks

Thanks Ken,

I look forward to what you find out.

Ken S

No luck, Curtis. I checked a couple chisels with my SVH-60 (also with the SV-76). Your chisels are at or beyond the "stall point". I tried two chisels in the short tool jig. With its trianguler opening, narrower chisels work better than wider chisels. The 3/8" chisel worked fine. The one inch fit the jig, but was too short to keep the short tool jig from rubbing against the grinding wheel. The "stall point" for chisels of your length is somewhere between these widths.

Using the universal support as a rest would certainly work. With reasonable care and checking for square, this very traditional method should work fine.

Keep us posted.

Ken

jeffs55

You may want to search this topic that I posted some time ago about the same problem. "chisel sharpening blues "
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

Ken S

Jeff, I found and remember that post. I should have added a post to bring it up. (January, 2013). Good topic.

Curtis, one more idea: If you make one of Herman's knife jigs, add a partial second platform on top. This platform should be about two inches long, allowing the taper of the chisel socket to clear. If this was bolted on it could be removed and the small knife jig will remain functional.

Ken

Herman Trivilino

I use the Short Tool Jig when I have to sharpen a chisel that's too short for the Square Edge Jig or Straight Edge Jig.

Ken, that's a good idea for a modification to the HK-50. I'll take one of my wooden ones and permanently modify it by gluing a block to the top of it. The thing is, if you're making the HK-50 it's kind of like baking loaves of bread. It's just as easy to make two or three as it is one.
Origin: Big Bang

Ken S

My post about making a jig for accurate mounting hole placement seems to apply here. Herman, I believe your jig has applications we have not yet imagined.

Ken

cks

Thanks for all the feedback.  I tried moving the chisel forward and using a square as noted in a previous post.  It worked ok, but not did not come out completely square.  Ken, you mentioned using the universal support. Do you use it with wheel rotating towards you? and how do you keep it at the same angle? because the chisel can slip forward or backward. I guess using the tool rest would be very similiar to the universal support.

Curtis

Ken S

My Stanley 60 chisels have not quite reached the point where they will not fit in the square edge jig. I do have several inexpensive Irwin blue chip chisel I bought for sharpening tests. They are longer. The next time I sharpen, in a couple days, I will try one of the Irwins with the universal support and with the scissors jig platform in both directions and post the results

You might be amazed how versatile just a half inch chisel can be. One longer chisel might lessen your frustrations considerably. Among the single chisel advocates is Chris Schwarz.

Ken