News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

a simple upgrade for the T4

Started by Ken S, February 11, 2015, 12:15:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

I am in the unusual position of having both a T7 and a T4 sitting on my bench. Being a curious type, I have swapped parts back and forth.

Today, while cleaning up after some honing, I was cleaning up the T4. Some honing compound had splattered being the leather honing wheel. I removed the honing wheel for better access. The 12mm nut is easy enough to remove with a wrench. However, the plastic locking knob (as used on the T7) makes removing and replacing the honing wheel much more efficient. The shaft diameters and threads are the same on the T4 and T7.I would suggest ordering one of these T7 locking knobs during a regular Tormek order. As I recall, they cost around 14 USD. Un the US, the parts are listed on the sharptoolsusa site. Other dealers should be able to order them.

Ken

SharpenADullWitt

What did you do, borrow the one from Stumpy, telling him you were going to win it?
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Ken S

Don't tell Stumpy!

Actually, I have watched one of Stumpy's episodes, and enjoyed it. I plan to subscribe. Stumpy's partner, Mustache Mike, reviewed the Tormek BGM-100 accessory which adapts Tormek jigs to dry grinders. I was impressed with the depth and fairness of Mike's review. The only thing he gave less than five mustaches was price. He gave that four because it looked like a simple device for the price. Mike looks old enough, like me, to remember fifteen cent coffee. I recommend checking out Stumpy's show.

Ken

mike40

Ken, that does seem like a steep price for just a knob. I would think it would be easy enough to just make a wooden knob with the existing nut expoxied into it, unless of course there is something special about the Tormek knob.
Mike

Ken S

Good point, Mike. Spare parts for anything seem costly. One of the things which impresses me about the Tormek is how many parts seem like good quality readily avaulable hardware store items. I think that is smart engineering; the real quality expense goes into the finely machined parts, like the EZYLock shaft.

A similar knob is readily available in the US in common non metric threads. You might have better luck in metric Norway.

Ken

SharpenADullWitt

Ken, in chain's like ACE or places like Mcmaster Carr, I have bought knobs that a nut goes inside the handle so one could just as easily use a metric nut as well as SAE.  One common use I have seen for them is the handles on a lawnmower, so one can fold them.
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Ken S

Good thought. Actually, I would not be surprised to eventually see such a nut included with the T4, as well as an improved water trough (like the T7) and a diamond dresser once the marketing department gets past the $399 hurdle. These would make a better tool.

Ken

Ken S

Mike.

I found a good alternative to the fourteen dollar Tormek part. My local Lowe's store had a package of two Hillman Flanged Hex Nuts Class 10 (thread) M12-1.75 for USD $1.15. (Rob, with VAT, that's fourteen pounds.) The flanged nut can be hand tightened and released. This is not as convenient as the fourteen dollar Tormek option, however, I would rate it higher than a buck fifteen for two.

Ken

Jimmy R Jørgensen

I would imagen something like this would be better?

If it's not broken, DON'T fix it.

Ken S

Bravo, Jimmy!

You get the award for the "Mickey Mouse" solution. Inexpensive and very functional...Good job!

Ken

jeffs55

I wrote so much and it followed a quote which I tried to delete. I deleted everything so to heck with it. A T4 is not and will not be a T7, bottom line.
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

Ken S

Jeff,

I would have enjoyed reading your longer post. Having lost several long posts, I now type them in my word processing program and then copy paste them into the forum. Losing that much work is a bummer.

I agree that the T4 is not the T7. I do not believe Tormek has ever intended it to become or replace the T7.

Nor do I think that the T7 is the T4. Both have strong areas.

Tormek claims the redesign of the T4 provides a 300% increase in accuracy over the T3. This is due to replacing part of the plastic housing with a cast zinc housing with the critical parts (main shaft holes and sleeves for the universal support) being machined. I do not know the full story with this, however, I have no reason to doubt Tormek's claim. Tormek also claims the accuracy of the machined housing of the T4 is equal with the T7. Again, I do not doubt this. In fact, if anything, I believe the machining of the T4 may actually be more precise than the bolted on sleeves of the T7. At this point I will add that I have found the accuracy of my T7 more than adequate, so, if the T4 is more precise, that extra precision is above and beyond what is necessary.

I have heard the arguments that the smaller wheel of the T4 is less desirable than the larger wheel of the T7. The argument about increased hollow grind with the smaller diameter wheel seems more theoretical than practical to me. The longer life of the larger wheel would make sense if the larger wheel (for replacement when worn) did not cost almost two thirds more.

Rob makes a good point about sharpening turning gouges being easier with the (T7's) 50mm width wheel than the (T4's) 40mm width. However, Tormek has chosen to "subcontract" reshaping to dry grinders, including those with six inch diameter wheels. These small wheels are often only ¾" (19mm) wide. Even the less common eight inch diameter dry grinding wheels are only one inch (25mm) in width, considerably less than the T4's 40mm.

I do not see where the difference in grinding wheels is substantial.

The blackstone is only available for the T7. However, the regular grinding wheel ha been the stalwart basis for the Tormek for decades, and I do not see the lack of a blackstone as being a probem for most users.

I also do not buy the fifty per cent duty motor argument. The operator will need a break long before the motor.

Where I do see a difference is in the size and weight of the two models. For those who keep the Tormek stationary in a shop, this is probably no big deal. For those who must move the Tormek, the difference is noticeable. Especially for older users.

Looking at the special deals since the T4 ws introduced, the marketing emphasis seems to be almost entirely on the T7. I do not believe Tormek has any plans to replace the T7 with the T4. Having both models gives the consumer a choice. One choice is for a heavier, more industrial model. The other choice is for a more portable, but still sturdy Tormek at a slightly reduced cost. Both models use the same jigs. In fact, they share the same handbook.

I use both and I like both. 

Ken

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: Ken S on June 07, 2015, 04:32:57 AM
The other choice is for a more portable, but still sturdy Tormek at a slightly reduced cost.

Portability and space-savings are the only advantages I see to the T4. The T7 is already pretty small and pretty portable.

Origin: Big Bang

Ken S

Herman,

I suggest you box up a bunch of stuff to sharpen and your jigs and spend a morning trying out the T4 at your neighborhood Woodcraft store. You may feel differently about the T4 after an extensive field test.

Ken