News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Steps for using the grinding wheel freehand

Started by Blake, May 28, 2015, 05:40:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blake

I apologize if there is a thread for this searched for it and did not find one close to the overall topic. When you decide to freehand let's say a small pocket knife that does not fit cleanly in the small tool jig, are the here steps you take to assure a specific edge angle?  I am trying to set the universal rest and measure the edge angle even though I am hand holding the tool. I would appreciate any steps others are using to assure a consistent angle while free handing.

Ken S

Blake, Check page forty three of the handbook.

Ken

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: Blake on May 28, 2015, 05:40:06 PM
When you decide to freehand let's say a small pocket knife that does not fit cleanly in the small tool jig, are the here steps you take to assure a specific edge angle?

You want to prepare the grindstone in the fine state. Have it turning away from you and away from the edge. Hold the knife so that the blade is in a horizontal plane. You'll be at the 11:30 o'clock position for a 15° bevel, which will give you a 30° edge angle. You can check this with the Angle Master.

If you're like me and you want a nice looking bevel you'll be frustrated. This is what led me to develop a platform that I attach to the base of the scissors jig.

http://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=1592.msg6634#msg6634

I get much better results this way, but I think a skilled operator could do just as well without it.
Origin: Big Bang

Blake

Ken, I had read page 43 but found it to gauge and was hoping for some tips from those who have done this a lot. I like Herman's jig and may go that route but will try a few more so far many of the pocket knifes I have tried come out worse than when I started these tend to be very small knives, normal size, I can get in the small tool holder.

Ken S

Blake,

I would encourage you to find a quiet uncrushed time and keep working with those knives, one at a time, until you feel comfortable with the sharpening process. No one comes out of the womb knowing how to sharpen. Using Herman's jig might be a wise choice for you at this time. It should get you up and running. Once you feel confident, you may or may not wish to try hand holding again. The important thing is the sharpness of the edge, not the method used to obtain it.

You might want to look into Ionut's jig. It is quite similar to Herman's jig, but Ionut used a clamp instead of Herman's more permanent method of drilling and tapping the platforms together. Ionut's version would let you try the jig very quickly.

Ken

Ken S

Blake,

If you get on the sharpeningmadeeasy.com website, check Steve's book chapter four and look under paper wheels. Steve has a good photo showing a method of determining bevel angle for freehand sharpening. This is the way he showed me to do the same operation using the Tormek.

Ken