News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Contest for Forum Members....Win a Valuable Prize!!!!

Started by Ken S, May 25, 2015, 02:16:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

Stig has diplomatically raised a very legitimate concern privately with me. He is concerned that my KS-150 designation for my knife setting tool might be confusing for other forum members. Quite correct; it does resemble a Tormek designation. I do know of one forum member who sent me  PM expressing his frustration that googling "KS-150" produced no results. He thought it might only be available in the US, and not the UK.How would he acquire one?

I certainly do not want to cause such stress among my fellow forum members. I chose "KS-150" to mean Knife Setting 150mm long. Any resemblance to "Ken S" is coincidental. :)

I need a new name for the tool. I thought of "improved Knife Jig for Tormek" (just kidding).  **KS-150 seemed still too close. So, I have decided to let the forum choose.

Forum members are invited to post name suggestions. The deadline will be one week from today. More than one suggestion from a member is allowed. Decision of the judge will be final.

The winner will receive one of my knife setting tools absolutely free. This is one of a very limited edition of eight and will probably become a valuable collectable in the future. It is so rare that not even the prestigious Tormek Museum in Sweden has one.

I hope (as posted in the knife section) that someone will post the illustrated directions for this tool.

Fellow members, post your suggestions. You may go down in forum history as the member who suggested the name for the knife setting tool!

Ken

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: Ken S on May 25, 2015, 02:16:20 PM
He is concerned that my KS-150 designation for my knife setting tool might be confusing for other forum members.

Jeff Farris made the same comment concerning my homemade knife jig (HK-50). A new name for that would be nice, too.

Perhaps HKJP (Homemade Knife Jig Platform) for mine and HKJS (Homemade Knife Jig Setter) for yours.
Origin: Big Bang

SharpenADullWitt

While typing about them, I expect they will end up abbreviations after a long enough time (and end up as part of a FAQ), that is typical of Forums, I don't believe that any combination will go with no confusion.
So my simple suggestion isn't much to type, KenJig, HerJig and a post in the forum, about useful, HOMEMADE, USER designed tools, where the instructions can go with the pictures, for the inevitable, "where do I find the plans", for those that aren't good with searching.  Then they eventually become KJ and HJ in posts.

I THINK (they would still have to rule on it), that that, falls within the acceptable use of this post:
"We have established this bulletin board forum so that Tormek owners and prospective owners can communicate with other owners. You are welcome to join in the discussion of any aspect of the Tormek system, from how to use a particular jig or accessory to the best way to store and maintain the system."  in the same way discussion about the wooden jigs, both before and after the turning tool setter came out, is.

My $.02
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Ken S

I have not detected that Tormek AB has any problem with us designing our own jigs. The only problem I am aware of is with our chosen names for them so closely resembling the official Tormek terminology for its jigs. I can understand that.

Incidentally, Stig and Affinity Tool, the US importer, have been aware of my knife setting tool. My only motivation with it has been to make proficient use of the Tormek simpler. While I find the anglemaster an essential tool, I do not always find it easy to use.

Hopefully someone will post the instructions. It really needs a you tube like Herman did for his jig. The operation really is much simpler than described.

I think "HerrJig" would sound more masculine than "HerJig".  ;)

Ken

Jimmy R Jørgensen

They will both end up having awesome names.. I to believe we "need" a new inventions section here to. like there is knife sharpening. why not a New inventions section. where all you geniuses can post your inventions

i would LOVE to win both of the jigs. but danm it i suck at getting idears to stuff like that.. god danm it.. i have no chanse at all here.. going to hate the winner.. sorry.
If it's not broken, DON'T fix it.

SharpenADullWitt

Ken, the reason I picked HerJig is two fold:
Uniform number of letters, to make things easier to understand in the future
Yes, it does look more female, as we have had fewer female members, why not do something that might promote more female members.

I agree I don't think they have a problem with us designing our own jigs.  I think the naming they might have a problem with, as well as the selling here.
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Ken S

Good point about the uniformity in the number of letters, SADW. I like both kenjig and herjig. I am certainly in favor of making the forum more welcoming to both genders; I just enjoy puns.

I registered on another Tormek several years ago.. It looked like it was a good information exchange in the past, but many of the posts were trying to sell or buy Tormek equipment. I did not care for the swap meet flavor. I believe that forum is now defunct.

Ken

Herman Trivilino

I would prefer it if my name were not abbreviated to either Her or Herr.
Origin: Big Bang

bobl

Could it be
Carver Sharper 150 or
Karver Sharper 150
or
Carver Sharper 30 degree
or
C.S 30 Degree
or
Karver Sharpener 30
or
K.S. 30
or
C.S. 30d
Tell me when to stop.
Haha
I have one ( Cheers Ken )
It works well.
Bob The Knife Grinder.

Ken S

Thank you for all the entries. In the end, I decided upon SADW's "kenjig". The tool is technically not a jig, but the name slides off the tongue easily and is uncomplicated, like the tool. I realize some users may actually make up several to cover different bevel angles. I prefer to keep the name simple and would suggest using a sharpie marker do designate the angle.

So, SADW, please PM me your postal address and I will you send you your prize.

Ken