News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Sharpening Roughing Gouges

Started by Sandy, May 24, 2006, 04:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandy

I have been singularly unsuccessful in sharpening my roughening gouge.

All I'm trying to do is get the perfect, mirrored, uniform edge that Jeff got when in Atlanta.

How about some tips? ... or a new demo video?

Which jig do you suggest?  Which direction?  Anything else that might be useful?

msrdnr

I'm no expert but I have no trouble with the roughing gouge. Just hold the gouge firmly at the business end, not on the handle, so you can feel the stone cutting, and gently but firmly roll it from side to side as you're moving it across the stone.

Sandy

I found that my wheel was not quite round, so I touched it up with the diamond dresser, and it seems to be a bit better now.

Jeff Farris

Quote from: Sandy on May 24, 2006, 04:32:01 PM
I have been singularly unsuccessful in sharpening my roughening gouge.

All I'm trying to do is get the perfect, mirrored, uniform edge that Jeff got when in Atlanta.

How about some tips? ... or a new demo video?

Which jig do you suggest?  Which direction?  Anything else that might be useful?

The jig should be the SVS-50. Horizontal mount. Grade your stone aggressively so that it cuts quickly to get to tool properly shaped.
Jeff Farris