News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Newbie here....

Started by guitar_edg, May 06, 2024, 10:13:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guitar_edg

Hi All,

I just ordered a T-8, with the HTK-806 kit.  I have not yet watched the Tormek videos, but they are on my "to do" list.

I plan to work on my utility and kitchen knives, chisels, and plane blades.  My wife's scissors if she'll let me.  Tool wise, my order should allow me work on all of the above.  And compared to my hand sharpening work, I should be able to get them all sharp.

Is there anything else I need to know?

TIA.

John Hancock Sr

Quote from: guitar_edg on May 06, 2024, 10:13:50 PMIs there anything else I need to know?

Oh yes - tons. Seriously though, I spent my life hand sharpening and getting good results but even so it takes time to get your eye in on the Tormek. Do not be discouraged if it takes a while to get used to all of the techniques required to achieve a satisfactory result. With all of that sharpening you will become a master in no time. When I first started using the Tormek it took time to be perfectly satisfied which the results. I found myself refining my technique as I gained more experience to get really good results.

Tip 1
My son gives me those desk calendars (usually Dilbert or The Far Side) and I use the old sheets for testing edges using the "paper test". I find them the perfect size and keep a stack on my bench in the corner. Bazz from Findon Sharpening uses those flyers and catalogues you get stuffed into your letter box to test his edges. You can probably cut them into squares.

Tip 2
Be very careful of the edge, and know where your band aids are. I was sharpening some chisels the other day and I happened to lightly brush the edge against my finger, ever so gently and raise a flap of skin. It leaves the edges very sharp indeed.

Tip 3
Refine your technique. As you get more experience you can use the Tormek videos and handbook to see where to improve to increase your efficiency, and sharpness.

RichColvin

The Tormek Sharpening Class videos cataloged here are excellent:  https://sharpeninghandbook.info/indexBooksVideosWebSites.html
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

John_B

Watch the videos and practice. I would start with a chisel or a knife (not your best) to get a feel for the machines operation. Avoid dollar store knives; they are hard to sharpen as it is difficult to remove the burr as they are often very soft. A good test for sharpness are receipts.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease