News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

water spillage

Started by Ken S, March 13, 2015, 11:01:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

One thing I noticed at the woodworking show in Hartville was how little water spilled out from the two
Tormeks in use. The T7 had the new larger water trough, although the scoop for long knives was not used. Nor was the rotating base in use. It was placed in one of the very nice Tormek rubber mats. The T4 was just placed on a piece of cardboard box to protect the wooden workbench used as a table. Both had been rotated frequently while demonstrating throughout the day.

The amount of water under either could have easily been absorbed and removed by one paper towel, two at the most. This made me think about my own water spillage at home. I think I probably spill more water removing the trough than from actually sharpening. I have watched just a few people very deftly remove the water trough. I have started practicing placing and removing the trough hoping to become one of the deft ones.

Ken

Dakotapix

I added the improved water trough to my old 2000 Tormek but I still get spillage mostly from raising and lowering the unit. Like you I've practiced these moves but I still find I have to wipe up spillage with a towel after a sharpening session. I don't always empty the trough after a session assuming that I won't hurt the wheel if I just lower it. I looked at the tray that Tormek sells for 59 bucks but rejected it because of the price. I do have the rotating tray though.

Ken S

I can't argue against your statement that the Tormek rubber mat is expensive. It is.  However, I have one, and it works really well. It is a high quality product.

We all have price points, which vary according to our wishes and lifestyle. In my case, I do splurge when it comes to the Tormek. As Herman so accurately states, I have a "sharpening hobby". However, things like vehicles, golf and expensive travel mean very little to me. I guess it all balances. I have found the Tormek rubber mat very effective.  Not cheap, but very functional.

Ken

SharpenADullWitt

I found I spilled the most upon learning how to fill the trough.  (fill too fast, or fill and don't let the stone absorb before adding more)
The next for me was when picking it up to turn it (have a nerve in my back that sometimes bothers me).  I pinched it many years ago and it has never quite been the same.
Then is the lowering to remove it.

I learned/improved my technique on the first one (still not 100%, depends on the mouth of the container I pour from).  Picked up the swivel to eliminate the second.
The third, I have been thinking about either putting a sponge or towel in the trough, before I drop it down, to cut some of the water, so less chance of spillage.
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Ken S

This past weekend I ran some grinding tests. I was paying more attention to water spillage. Thinking of SADW's post, I was more attentive to filling the tray gradually. I did not need to rotate the Tormek, so that was not an issue. I was more methodical in the frequent raising, lowering and removal of the water tray. The amount of water spillage was quite minimal. Half a paper towel was enough for cleanup.

Ken

longlivelavey

Ah water spillage, how I loathe thee.  >:(

After further thought on the subject, not that long ago, I added the RB-180 rotating base to my Tormek collection (which I highly recommend everyone buy if you haven't already). And I used an old air mattress as a rubber cover for my bench (I sliced off the rubber surface and turned it into a table cloth basically). So with all that, and a little practice, I rarely have any water spillage when I'm filling the tray, using the Tormek, or removing the tray. And using the two extra magnet feet that came with the Tormek, to raise the side opposite the water tray, hasn't hurt either.

---
longlivelavey