News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

diamond dresser problem

Started by Ken S, April 07, 2015, 10:26:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

I noticed my grinding wheel was not quite straight and parallel today. I set up my diamond dresser to correct the problem. It was the first thing in the sharpening session. I thought I had enough water in the trough......Water was running over the grinding wheel. I thought I had allowed enough time for the wheel to absorb its fill of water. Everything started fine until the grinder stopped. The stopping was not gradual; it was quite quick. I had not allowed quite enough absorption time. I filled more water into the trough and tried again. I think i ruined the diamond cluster.

I now have a couple shallow grooves in the grinding wheel. I think the diamonds were yanked out of the dresser.

I ordered a new diamond dresser from sharptoolsusa. I have dealt with them before and have found them very reputable. What puzzled me was that the complete assembly was only four dollars more than the replacement diamond. i included a new leather grinding wheel threaded cover (part #50) for the T7 in the order (I hate to pay shipping.) I will use it with the T4.

I submit this in the hope that it may help prevent other forum members from having the same problem. Whenever you use the diamond dresser, make very sure your grinding wheel has absorbed all the water it can before grinding. I always use very shallow cuts, so that should not have been a problem.

I would welcome comments (from you, too, Stig). The problem was definitely operator error.

Ken

Ken S

My parts order from sharptoolsusa arrived today. Fast service!

To my surprise, the diamond dresser , TT-50U, is the dresser without the diamond. I called sharptoolsusa. I explained the situation to the very helpful sales person. She indicated that this has happened before. She asked if I wished to keep the extra jig, which I declined. Sharptoolsusa will send me a replacement diamond and I will return the jig. So far, I give them very high marks for service.

I will keep you posted.

Ken

Herman Trivilino

I suspected something like this when you mentioned the small price difference.
Origin: Big Bang

Ken S

I had a nagging feeling in the back of my head that I did not remember tightening the TT-50 truing tool to my support bar. Both the website video clip and the handbook mention this. This evening I made another attempt to true my wheels. This time I was doubly certain that I tightened everything. As always, I set for a very light cut. The first pass only made contact in the highest spots. I was encouraged as the Tormek did not come to a forced stop. Then another shallow cut, again one number on the micro adjust. Things were looking up. I made a total of six of these light passes before the whole wheel was uniformly dressed. My old diamond worked fine.

Then I set up on the T4, whose wheel looked fine to me. To my surprise, it took another five of six very light passes to be uniformly trued. Both wheels look like new. Straight, true and squeaky clean.

I can't imagine owning a Tormek without also owning a truing tool. having a grinding wheel running true is the first and best defense against the sharpening gremlins.

In hindsight, i think what happened was that my truing tool was not properly secured. I think it was what caused the motor to come to a stop. I thought the diamond holder was ruined. Running the truing operation again paying better attention to the fundamentals saved the day. Another precaution I took was letting the Tormeks run for a few minutes before truing to make sure the wheels had fully absorbed water.

I hope my mishap may have prevented some of the readers from doing the same thing.

Ken