News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Global G10 salmon / ham flexible 31cm knife sharpening

Started by harvestbarn, April 12, 2015, 03:45:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

harvestbarn

I have  just  purchased the T7 and also have the planer iron jig. This knife although fairley parellel is not towards the end so I was unwilling to try it in the planer jig.  I ended up sharpening it free hand is there a better way?  I have seen the post for a home made rest used with the SVD -110 is this a likly solution for thin flexible blades.

Herman Trivilino

The SVM-140 is the jig designed for thin flexible knife blades.

In my experience the SVD-110 is not the better choice for the platform of a home made rest. The surface of its platform is too far from the Universal Support bar. I prefer to use the base of the SVX-150. It places the grinding edge closer to the operator when grinding towards the edge (which is the only way I grind when sharpening a knife) and it allows you to grind at smaller bevel angles.

Origin: Big Bang

Ken S

I agree with Herman about the SVD-110 being better suited to other tasks than sharpening long thin knives. The present long knife jig is an improvement of the original long knife jig. The length of the clamping bars was increased from 100mm to 140mm. This jig is specifically designed for long thin knives.

In my opinion, the planer jig is well designed for its intended purpose, planer and jointer blades. There have been two recent posts about using the planer jig for long, thin knives. I do not remember the topic coming up before. I do not mean to be critical. I am just curious given two posts. Is there a common source for this recommendation?

Try using the long knife jig and do keep us posted about your results.

Ken

harvestbarn

Thank you for your response Herman I will obtain the SVX150 and make a jig to sit on it.  Have you tried it with such a long knife?

Thanks Ken the knife has about 30 cm of cutting edge and a blade width from 20mm reducing to14mm which is rather narrow.  I did not feel the long knife jig was very suitable.  There is no connection with any other posts, I am new to this forumn and the only other related post I found had no obvious answer.  Sorry if I have missed anything perhaps you could steer me to it?

While I acheived a sharp edge the ground bevel is not perfect along the entire length. It took some time with regular dressing as the steel is harder than many of my other knives.

Is a spell checker available?

Garth

Ken S

Garth,

I am not the person for specialized knife questions. I keep my own twenty year old Henckel knives sharp. My knife collection is rather sparse: two paring knives; 6 and 8 inch slicing knives, an 8" chef's knife; a bread knife; a boning knife (which is rarely used) and my father's old "sandwich knife" ( a generic 6" slicer) which I keep for sentimental reasons and use to open the mail. My wife and I eat very little meat, so my knowledge of many knives is lacking. I'm basically a chisel guy.

I hope you get more specific answers. Maybe Stig or Steve will chime in.

Ken

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: harvestbarn on April 13, 2015, 12:52:24 AM
Thank you for your response Herman I will obtain the SVX150 and make a jig to sit on it.  Have you tried it with such a long knife?

Here's a very early version of my HK-50 jig. Since then I've made many improvements. I can sharpen anything from a pen knife to a machete.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcWAkQmoU8c&lc=CCGSNNFIiDp6Y10x6bNqWSE6nGUx53lFLRI7ydHCYnw

harvestbarn

Thanks Herman that was a very good and informative video.  I am sure I will find your jig very useful.  Have you published a picture of your latest version I would love to see it.

Garth

Stickan

Hi,
Our Swedish Global importer do use Tormek and I know that you will get good result using the SVM-140 knife jig.
If you can, put a finger on the knifes blade also when you sharpen the tip, you see what I mean in the video, use one finger on the blade also.
http://tormek.com/international/en/grinding-jigs/svm-140-knife-jig/

Stig

harvestbarn

Thanks Stig that is interesting this knife is one of the few Global knives that has such a long and flexible blade. 

The Scissor Jig SVX150 is on order and I am going to modify it similar to that shown in  Herman`s video.   A piece of stainless steel is also coming for the base.

I also sharpen  1908 Sabers for the sport of Tent Pegging and feel this modified jig will be a great help.

Pictures show orange cutting normally two targets carried out at a gallop.

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: harvestbarn on April 13, 2015, 05:34:53 AM
Have you published a picture of your latest version I would love to see it.

http://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=1592.msg6634#msg6634

Since then I have also made one out of aluminum. Also, I get the cheap adhesive-backed felt from sewing and craft stores and stick it on the upper surface. It prevents the scratching of kitchen knives when that's an issue. I also have an old dirty one without the felt that I use for shop tools.

harvestbarn

Yes I guess aluminum could be used thick enough to counter sink the fixing screws, would this be an improvement?  The felt is a good idea but I guess 50mm  pvc tape or duct tape would also work well.  I use duct tape on pump pliers to achieve a similar result.

Herman Trivilino

Grit gets trapped between the surface of the platform and the side of the knife. The felt allows these particles to be washed away without scratching. Others have reported not having this problem. I suppose they are using a lighter touch. Perhaps just use the platform as a guide to keep the bevel angle constant, and let the knife barely rest upon it.