News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Honing Compound ??????

Started by Kevin R, February 15, 2015, 04:17:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin R

Setting up our new T7 today and following the videos.  I applied some light weight oil and let saturate really good.  Then applied some honing compound evenly on the wheel.  Started working through the pieces one at a time pocket knives kitchen knifes cleavers and so on........   I noticed as the morning went on the performance improved, really impressed with this machine.  My question is though I know a little compound goes a long way right..... I notice when I hone and finish there is a decent amount off compound still on the blade is the normal?  I probably used less than a teaspoon total to load the wheel in the beginning.  After a full morning of sharpening I am finally getting a some what slick grey surface on the honing wheel...  just looking  for some feedback to see if I am on the right track.  I appreciate it!

grepper

Hi Kevin, Welcome to the forum!

Some compound on the blade is normal, but if it's wet, and you have a lot of it, you may be using too much.

It's a bit hard to explain, but when honing, you should feel some drag, and get the feeling that the compound is cutting and performing its job.  The wheel should not feel slick or rubbery.  The compound should not slide around on the surface of the wheel.  The first time you feel it, you will recognize what is happening.  You can feel a slight resistance and sort of intuitively know the compound is cutting the steel.  It's kind of a cool feeling.

The idea is that the compound should adhere to the wheel.  It should be held in place by the leather so it can fulfill its mission as an abrasive.  A lot like abrasive particles are glued to a piece of sandpaper or a sanding belt.  The wheel should not feel wet.  It should not feel totally dry, hard, crusted and cracked, but it should have a sort of dry, supple, smooth abrasive feel to it.  Again, sort of difficult to explain.

If you saturate the wheel with too much oil, the wheel becomes greasy and slippery, and the compound slides around on the surface of the wheel and does not stick to the leather.  When you apply a blade to that, it feels like pressing the bladel against a greased surface, there is little resistance and the compound does not cut. It can polish the blade, but it does not cut well as intended.

http://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=2250.msg10803#msg10803

Over and over again we see questions about oiling the honing wheel and the tendency is to over oil.  It's a super common question, and not well addressed by Tormek.  One member here suggested that Tormek supply the correct amount of oil for the wheel with the machine.  I second that idea!  If not that, at least specify the correct amount, like apply one teaspoon of oil...

While it's difficult to directly answer your question, you said, "After a full morning of sharpening I am finally getting a some what slick grey surface..."  The word "slick" makes me wonder if possibly you have too much oil or are using too much compound.  It should feel slightly dry and abrasive.

Hopefully that helps!

Jan

Grepper, I really enjoyed your aptly explanation. Thanks!  :)
Jan

Kevin R

Grepper really appreciate the response!  I believe I have it, and by slick I guess I mean more uniform......  My compound has adhered and is not sliding around....  if anything possible slightly to dry but  I believe its just about right.  Again I am very pleased with the results we are achieving.  Definitely second the idea of some pre packed oil with the intial installment of a new wheel.

grepper

Soon the wheel will turn black.  That is a good thing.  It is normal and expected.

Ken S

I recently watched an online review of the T4. The reviewer's leather honing wheel was pristine..... The reviewer had allegedly sharpened a turning gouge, although there were no extra shaped honing wheels on his Tormek.

Your honing wheel turning black is a good thing and will happen quickly.

Ken

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: Kevin R on February 15, 2015, 04:17:20 AM
I notice when I hone and finish there is a decent amount off compound still on the blade is the normal?

That's a sign that you've applied too much compound. You can put that excess back on the wheel with your finger.

QuoteAfter a full morning of sharpening I am finally getting a some what slick grey surface on the honing wheel...  just looking  for some feedback to see if I am on the right track.  I appreciate it!

Try scraping the wheel with a putty knife to remove some of that gunk. Do not, under any circumstances, apply any more oil. Keep using and scraping the wheel until you work out that slickness. You want a surface that grabs the steel, not slides over it.
Origin: Big Bang

Kevin R

I appreciate all the help, after a two months of using the machine.  I have a nice uniform black honing wheel that grabs the metal.  I am very pleased with the results from the machine.

Ken S

That's the ticket, Kevin! You are on the right path.

Ken

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: Kevin R on April 03, 2015, 05:18:25 PM
I appreciate all the help, after a two months of using the machine.  I have a nice uniform black honing wheel that grabs the metal.  I am very pleased with the results from the machine.

That's the ticket! As Jeff used to advise us, applying less compound more often is the way to go.
Origin: Big Bang

Ken S

Out of curiosity, I checked the handbook (page 44). " One application (honing compound) lasts for 5-10 tools."

I have often just turned on my Tormek without adding any compound when I just want to buff something. There always seems to be enough residual compound to do the job. I am finally realizing that a very little is sufficient.

Ken