News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

instructional help from Tormek

Started by Ken S, April 19, 2015, 11:52:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

Those of you who have read my earier posts know that I have long argued for more training videos from Tormek. In truth, the Tormek videos are considered some of the most comprehensive in the industry. That stated, I believe more problem oriented video training would take care of most of the frequent difficulties we see on the forum.

I would like to acknowledge one particular Tormek video which assisted me with the problem I posted with the TT-100 Truing Tool. Set for a light cut, the diamond cut into the grinding wheel with enough force to stop the motor. This actually happened several times. I thought I had ruined the diamond tool and went so far as to order a new one.

I knew something was wrong. On the tormek.com website, there is a short description of all the jigs and accessories. Most have a short video included. I refreshed my memory by watching the TT-100 Truing Tool video again, actually watching it twice. I had the nagging feeling that I had neglected to tighten the locking screw.

I set up my Tormek with the truing tool again. I figured I had nothing to lose. This time I made very sure to lock the jig in place. Everything worked perfectly. It required six light passes to clean up the gouges I had put in my grinding wheel. The result was a new looking surface. This result was better than new; it was trued to my Tormek.

In the future, I will explore the jigs and accessories videos and the handbook before working with infrequently used jigs. I already do this with the DBS-22 drill bit jig. Alan Holtham has done a good job of navigating the"fiddlyness" of setting up this jig. I consider this Tormek's most advanced jig, when properly set up.

I acknowledge that Tormek has done a good job with its training videos. I hope they will continue this good effort with more specific problem oriented videos. I realize that old carmudgeons like me will research our much underlined and highlighted old handbooks. These are a fine but sometimes incomplete resource. Most of today's Tormek users learn by video. Video is an amazing resource; it is like being in a classroom watching an instructor demonstrate. I look forward to watching more Tormek videos. I would like to see them directly linked to this forum.

Ken