News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Freezing wheel?

Started by VTAndy, March 26, 2006, 08:38:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VTAndy

Hello,
I'm a new Tormek User.  My question regards cold workshop conditions.  My shop is not heated when not in use, and I'm concerned about the wheel cracking if it freezes.  Obviously I'd dump the water out of the tray, but the wheel soaks in water.  Any advice?
Andy
Vermont, U.S.A.

Jeff Farris

As long as it is not sitting in a tray full of water, it should not be a problem.  That said, it would be safest to store the stone in a heated area until it is dry.
Jeff Farris

VTAndy

Hi,
Thanks for the reply.
So, if I simply remove the wheel and bring it into the house, the rest of the Tormek is OK with freezing cold?
Thanks,
Andy

Jeff Farris

That is correct.  Be sure it is pretty dry before you turn out the lights and leave the shop.  Freeze/thaw of water and grindstone dust can pit your finish, but it shouldn't hurt anything other than cosmetics.
Jeff Farris

VTAndy

Thanks!  (I can't believe it's Spring and I'm asking this -- but around here we can have freezing nights right up into May!)
-Andy