News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Jerking (pulsating) Stone and Stop (Further Clarification)

Started by CMS, February 26, 2015, 11:08:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CMS

I just purchased my T-4 and am learning to use it.  Great tool!

After about 1-2 hours of operation (not continuous), my stone and strop (wheels) began to pulsate (or jerk).  I have scuffed up the rubber wheel (under the strop) as directed in the video, but this makes no difference.  The wheels continue to turn, but there is a definite pulse with each rotation.  Can anyone help me solve this problem?  I'd greatly appreciate your help.  CMS

A few points of clarification: 
    I stopped my Tormek periodically.  It was not running continually.
    The pulsating only happens when I apply pressure with the tool I am sharpening to the stone or strop.
C. M. Shearer

Ken S

CMS, welcome to the forum. You will probably get a better answer for this by emailing tormek support in Sweden directly. The email address is support@tormek.se. They will answer within a day or two.

Ken

jeffs55

That machine is not rated to run 1-2 hours non stop. Is the motor itself jerking or the wheel slipping? There is a difference. The stone is on the drive shaft and cannot slip, only the stropping wheel could slip. If the stone is jerking it is because the motor is jerking for some reason. Again, is it overheating? Try running it for a half hour and then a 15 minute rest or whatever the manual says and see if that cures the problem.
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

Stickan

Hi,
I think it´s something with the stone, have you used the stonegrader on it?
Use the coarse side of the stone and refresh the surface.

Stig

CMS

Thanks for your suggestions.  I made a few clarifications to my original post that I should have put in my original post.  Sorry about misleading you.  Thanks again...  CMS
C. M. Shearer

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: CMS on February 26, 2015, 11:08:00 PM
After about 1-2 hours of operation (not continuous), my stone and strop (wheels) began to pulsate (or jerk).

Can you explain a bit more? I often hear a pulsing sound from my Tormek, but there's no jerk. I figure it's just a vibration because it stops when I push on the grindstone with a tool or the stone grader.

If there's a jerk, that sounds like either the drive shaft is slipping on that rubber drive wheel or there's something amiss with the main shaft. It could need lubricating or perhaps it's bent.

Do you see a visible wobble in the grindstone or the leather honing wheel?
Origin: Big Bang

CMS

[HT]Can you explain a bit more? I often hear a pulsing sound from my Tormek, but there's no jerk. I figure it's just a vibration because it stops when I push on the grindstone with a tool or the stone grader.

[CMS] When I first turned on my Tormek, I had a slight clicking sound.  Having watched the video and seeing a demonstration at the Hartville Tool Show, where I bought the Tormek, I new that I needed to scuff up the rubber wheel inside the strop wheel.  Once I did this, I heard no clicking; however, after a while, I began to experience the jerking motion that I mentioned in my original post.

[CMS]Today, I scuffed the rubber wheel more aggressively and with a coarser sand paper, and "voila," no more jerking!

[HT] If there's a jerk, that sounds like either the drive shaft is slipping on that rubber drive wheel or there's something amiss with the main shaft. It could need lubricating or perhaps it's bent.

[CMS]  As you surmised, the shaft was slipping on the rubber drive wheel.

[HT] Do you see a visible wobble in the grindstone or the leather honing wheel?

[CMS]  No, there was no wobbling of the grindstone.  Thanks for your comments.
C. M. Shearer

CMS

Thanks to all who responded to my query regarding my stone jerking issue.  I have solved the problem.  Here is the story:

The instructional video shows and suggest that the rubber wheel may periodically need to be scuffed.  Which I did as I began using my Tormek; however, being  concerned that I not scuff the wheel too much, I simply did not scuff it aggressively enough.  Early this morning, once I gave the rubber a good scuffing with an 80 grit sand paper, my problem was gone.  So, chalk this up to a valuable learning experience.  I am up and running smoothly. 

Again, thanks to all who chimed in.  Collectively, your comments helped me to rethink my problem and come up with the idea that solved my problem.  Stay sharp!
C. M. Shearer

Ken S

Great news, CM. I hope you will continue posting on the forum. We can use an experienced chef!

Ken

Loic

Dear CMS,

I just brought a T7, what a nice tool!
I'm experiencing something similar to your jerking T4.
Every revolution the machine is making a pulse noise, with or without load. After checking the rubber wheel I noticed a kink on it. It seems that the machine was stored for so long that the motor shaft had buried down in the rubber and left a groove on the race.
Before opening a new topic I would like to check if the video you are talking about can help me.
Could you post the link for that video?
It would be helpful if someone from Tormek can guide me as well concerning this issue.
Thanks in advance.

Sincerely

Loic

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, Loic.

Unfortunately, the Tormek factory in Sweden is closed for the traditional summer vacation until August 4. Hopefully, someone on the forum may have experienced the same problem.

Have you tried gently rubbing the area of the rubber wheel with sandpaper to smooth it?

Ken

Stickan

Hi,
The support@tormek.se is acctually open all summer, might be an extra day to get an answer but it should be a 24H reply from us Monday to Friday.

Best,
Stig