News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

knife sharpeners, help is on the way!

Started by Ken S, February 21, 2015, 01:37:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

This topic is a branch of my Great Tormek Day post.  While I was watching and chatting with Steve Bottorff, we discussed several of the more subtle problem areas of knife sharpening. I made the comment to Steve that this was exactly what I would love to see in a Tormek training video about knife sharpening. (The existing videos are good, but don't go far enough in depth for my liking.)

At this point, Steve, who is retiring, mentioned that he is making a DVD to try to offer the experience of his class to those who have been unable to attend. Our members Kiwi and Mike 40 came to mind. With Steve's DVD, Mike and Kiwi would be able to have the benefit of a class with Steve from Norway and New Zealand!

Steve said the video should be available sometime this fall. In the meantime, his website, www.SharpeningMadeEasy.com, has plenty of good information. His very informative book, Sharpening Made Easy, is also available on his website. Steve is a very longtime Tormek user and teacher. I will be among the first to order his DVD, and suggest the same to all of you.

Ken

SharpenADullWitt

Give us a reminder if you hear about it before us (going off to check if there is a sign up for info site).
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Ken S

mike40

Thanks for the tip Ken. My first encounter with my sløyd knife didn't go so well, but I think that was mainly due to my Tormek sitting a little too high for me. I plan to remedy that by placing a platform in from of my Tormek to raise me up a bit to get an optimal stance for sharpening knives. I will certainly have a look at that video if I am still having problems at that time.
Mike

stevebot

withdrawn.
Steve Bottorff; author, teacher and consultant on knife and scissor sharpening.

Ken S

I am looking forward to the new film. Please keep us posted.

Ken

Elden

Look forward to seeing the DVD.

Steve, I am curious if you had people confined to wheel chairs in your classes? If so, do you have any helpful pointers geared that way?
Elden

stevebot

I have not had first hand experience with people in wheelchairs but I have discussed it with several people. It certainly can be done. It all revolves around a table at the correct height that extends over the chair so the reach is not too great.
Steve Bottorff; author, teacher and consultant on knife and scissor sharpening.

Ken S

Elden, I think the T4 would be ideal for someone in  wheelchair. It has plenty of pep and about half the weight of the T7. It is considerably smaller, too. For someone who already had a T7, all of the jigs interchange.

The rotating base would be a nice feature, too.

Ken

Elden

Thanks Steve. Currently I use a swivel work table mounted  on a Mojack mower lift that allows the Tormek to be down low enough that I am "over" it like a normal operator. Actually I am not as close to it as regular operator since my legs bump into it. Thus the reason for my question. I am always on the lookout for a better idea. A pictorial presentation of it can be found in a previous thread "Hillbilly adjustable swivel work table".
http://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=1606.msg6906#msg6906

Ken, I will have to consider the T4  when it is necessary to replace the grinding stone and shaft.
Elden

Ken S

Elden,

One of the things which fascinates me about the Tormek is its versatility. I have read in the handbook that the grinding may be done with the wheel approaching or trailing. That really struck me while watching Steve working on a knife. He was working with the wheel trailing the blade and working freehand.

I suspect this may have been the original technique used on the Tormek from 1973 until at least 1984 when the universal support was added. Using the jig in the vertical position certainly provides rapid consistency for a beginner, however, watching an experienced Tormek hand like Steve, working with a trailing edge makes a lot of sense, too. In your case, it might be much more logical.

I hope you will give very serious consideration to the T4. The smaller height offers much more possible versatility, especially, as Mike stated, for a farm boy! You are the perfect candidate for the jigless marketing strategy; you already have the jigs! Based on my own use and having watched the demo all day, I believe you would find the T4 every bit the trooper your Supergrind has been. You would be in the unusual position, like I have been, to use the two side by side and be able to make a very informed decision.

I think Tormek finally got the smaller model right. The machined zinc housing top is a major step forward, not only for precision, but, also for heat dispersion.

Ken

Elden

Ken,
I believe in one of the threads someone asked you if you were working for Tormek now. You are quite the salesman! You didn't happen to sell cars on the side along with that phone job did you? Actually the height factor would be a benefit as you mentioned.
I will have to try the horizontal position versus the vertical. I have tried working off the opposite side of the machine with the USB vertical (grinding wheel spinning away from the operator but into the blade). The horizontal might be the answer. It definitely would help with the heigth issue on a table made like Steve mentioned. I already have a table fixed that way that I use for other projects. Trouble is, it is outside and the rest of the week is supposed to be cold.
Elden

Ken S

Elden,

No, I am not employed by Tormek. Officially I was a laid off telephone worker who fell off the head count of the unemployed. Actually, I had planned to retire and agreed to work two months more so that when I left (agreed to be laid off), a younger worker's job would be saved. I did receive some compensation for this gesture. It was a case of the right thing to do was also profitable. I sought no other employment nor did I file for unemployment, so now I am just retired. (Sorry to kill a good rumor.)

By nature, I like to share the good news about something I like. I also like to learn as much as I can about those things. In that spirit, I met Stig when he was in Columbus, where I live, and I went to the giant tool show in Hartville, where I met Rick and Craig from Affinity Tool (the US importer) and Steve Bottorff, who should be familiar to our forum by now. I did learn a lot. I did get a free lunch with the other presenters, by invitation, but nothing the IRS would be interested in.

I have been surprised by how much I like the T4. in my younger days, with big dreams for my woodshed, I chose the T7. If the T4 had been an option then, with those dreams, I would still have chosen the T7. Being several years older, and more realistic, if not wiser, I would chose the T4 for my personal use. At this stage of my life, I am blessed with a large workshop space. In that regard, the T7 fits well. However, my next move will no doubt be to a smaller facility. I hope to have at least some workshop space wherever that will be. At that point, I may be very glad for the T4. For the present, a T4 is more than adequate for any of my sharpening needs.

If I seem excited about the possibilities of the Tormek, including the T4, it is because I am. i am too old to try pretending to be anyone except who I am, and part of who I am is someone who likes the Tormek, including the T4.

I hope you have some warmer weather soon, Elden.

Ken

Elden

Ken,

That was stated tongue in cheek. I caught in your earlier that you are not. Actually from your posts I would have taken it that you are well satisfied customer. But you know what they say, "Nothing sells like a well satisfied customer."
My wife would string me up if I bought another Tormek! :P
Elden

Ken S

Elden,

What a glorious way to go! You would be selected (post humously, of course) for the Order of Tormek and be buried with your grindstone. What an honor. ???

Ken