News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

bevel marking technique

Started by Ken S, February 22, 2015, 05:12:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

Another post from Friday. I was watching Rick and Craig set up a chisel to grind. They demonstrated using a marker to blacken the bevel. However, instead of spinning the wheel to check the grinding angle, they moved the chisel from side to side. I had never seen this done like that before. The side to side motion produced a narrow mark on the grinding wheel. By moving the micro adjusting wheel on the support bar, they widened the black mark to the full bevel size.

They did not have to remove the SE-76 straight edge jig from the bar to examine how much of the bevel was shiny (and had lost its black mark).  This struck as a noticeable improvement over the "tried and true" method. it should work with any edged tool, including small carving tools or turning tools.

I also noticed that they used the stops to keep the tool from falling off the grinding wheel. When I asked about this, Craig told me he used the stops because he got tired of dinging up his hands, a very logical answer.

I find it fascinating how Tormek technique continues to evolve, even with the humble chisel.

Ken

Jan

Thank you Ken for sharing with us this interesting technique!  :)

This apparently tiny change in the set up of a tool to grind, may be much more convenient than the classical trial and error method with the spinning the wheel check. You can use both hands for the side to side motion on the grinding wheel.

I will try it as soon as possible.

Ken S

Jan, I'm glad you have enjoyed the post. I am fascinated with the way the Tormek and its technique have continued evolving. I have always thought the traditional marking method was very solid and efficient. It still is, however, I believe this small modification may work even better. I have no idea of who first conceived the change. I can certainly not take credit for it.

The marking technique was one of a number of different techniques I observed on Friday. I will continue posting them.

I highly recommend anyone of the forum who has the opportunity to attend a woodworking show or Tormek seminar do so. I followed my plan of spending the day with just the Tormek demonstration. It was time well spent.

Ken

Herman Trivilino

Good tip, Ken. Thanks. That makes the marker method easier to use.
Origin: Big Bang

Elden

That sounds like a good method, Ken.
What if the chisel has not been sharpened on a Tormek yet? Let's assume the chisel has been repeatedly sharpened on a bench stone. Theoretically the bevel is flat depending on the proficiency of the sharpener.
Using that method, would one attempt to get the black mark to approach the center of the chisel bevel?
Elden

Ken S

Excellent point, Elden. Like all outstanding ideas, it always works perfectly, at least some of the time.  :)

I think a flat bevel is an exception, although a very common exception until the entire world switches to Tormeks. I would switch back to the traditional method. An experienced operator could probably tell by the mark without looking at the bevel itself. I like having a choice of methods.

Ken

Herman Trivilino

I thought this variant of the method involved looking at the grindstone, not the chisel. The mark on the grindstone would be at the center of the bevel if the bevel is flat and the jig is at the angle that best matches the last sharpening session.

By the way, Ken, did you notice what brand of marker he was using? I've found that they don't all work the same.

Ken S

You are quite correct, Herman. this method does involves looking at the grindstone rather than the chisel bevel. The advantage is not having to remove the jig and tool to examine it. No doubt, with a little practice and self confidence, we can see flat bevels on the grinding wheel.

He was using a "Sharpie" brand marker. (Later edit.....It was a large Sharpie. They also work well for blotting out names and addresses from junk mail.) They are the "band aid" brand of adhesive compresses or "Kleenex" brand of facial tissues. They also work well. :)

Ken

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: Ken S on February 23, 2015, 11:55:59 PM
He was using a "Sharpie" brand marker. They are the "band aid" brand of adhesive compresses [...]

Don't you mean "plasters"?  ;)

Rob, are you getting all this?

Ken S

Oops! I reverted back into my midwest prairie "English". :)

Ken