News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

alternative honing method for chisels

Started by Ken S, February 14, 2015, 05:05:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

For those of us, myself included, who are not Jedi Masters with the Tormek, I have a suggestion for making chisel honing easier and more precise.

The big concern with using the leather honing wheel freehand is rounding the edge. I do not believe this is necessary.

I happen to have a spare universal support bar. However, if you only have one, the technique will still work as well.

Grind and fine grind the chisel as usual.

Hone the bevel with the leather honing wheel as usual using the square edge jig and universal support bar properly set for the correct angle for the honing wheel.

Remove the jig from the support bar. Leave the chisel in the jig.

Prepare a flat surface. Cardboard on glass or a flat piece of wood work well. (The piece of wood will last longer.) Place some Tormek Honing compound on the flat surface. Rub the back of the chisel on this compound laden flat surface to remove the burr. Lower the chisel such that the back part of the chisel touches first. This will insure that honing the back of the chisel does not cause any roundover.

Alternate between the bevel side with the chisel in the jig and the back with the chisel still in the jig but held flat.

Using the leather honing wheel with the chisel secured in the jig will provide a polished surface with no rounder from the bevel side. Using the flat surface on the back will prevent any rounder from the back.

Ken