News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

how to sharpen cleavers

Started by photosmart, March 17, 2006, 10:26:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

photosmart

How do you sharpen a kitchen cleaver using this system? Is it done free hand because they are too large for the knife jigs?

epw314

What size clever do you have?Mine fit in the knife jig.Is it too thick?
Ed
Ed Weigman

Anything Sharp
172 Mountain Lake Estates
Hawley,Pa 18428
570 685 9755

photosmart

The cleaver will fit the jig but it stands too tall for you to put the bevel on it. Even at 25 degrees and the support all the way up the cleaver stands too tall. I can probably do it by hand but i think i'm just missing something.

Jeff Farris

Nope, you're not missing anything.  Deep bodied knives like cleavers can't be sharpened with the jig on a new or relatively new stone.  If it is something that you will face a lot, and you have trouble doing it freehand, I can probably come up with a small diameter stone off one of my demo machines for you.  
Jeff Farris

photosmart

Not a comon thing i have to do but i have sharpened mine and the neighbors and between us that makes three cleavers. I don't see this as something i will have to do a lot but it would be nice to have things to make it easier when i have to do it.

Jeff Farris

Freehand sharpening of tools like cleavers (and axes, machetes, small pocketknives, etc.) takes just a little practice and some confidence.  The second comes with more of the first.

Turn the machine around so that the wheel is turning away from you. Grade the stone fine. If there is an original factory bevel on the tool, mark it with a waterproof marker. Turn the machine on and hold the tool to the stone at the angle you think is right.  After a few seconds, check your work. If you are on or near the bevel, keep on working.  If you find that you are way off on the bevel, adjust how you're holding the tool and try again.  Since we are working slow and cool, you can work with your fingers very close to the tool without concern for burning or abrading your fingers.
Jeff Farris