News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

New guy.

Started by Woodrow, February 11, 2015, 01:37:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodrow

Greetings to all from central Fl.

I have a question about the older model 2000.  Found one for sale with a few accessories at $430.  Does anyone know what the difference between the 2000 and the T-7 are?  Looks like new in the photo's.

Thanks!

Woodrow

I think I found my answers using the search function.  I think I might prefer a T-7 from what I read unless the price drops a bit.

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, Woodrow.

I've never owned a model 2000, so I can only give you a quick overview.

A big change is the main shaft. My older T7 (2009 vintage) came with a stainless steel regular shaft. The 2000 had a non stainless steel shaft, which was subject to rust and freezing onto the grinding wheel. The latest T7s have the stainless steel EZYLock shafts. They are a real improvement; they make wheel removal a snap. They can be retrofitted onto older units (an easy ten minute job). The new shaft costs about 66 USD. If you have to replace a shaft rusted to a wheel which breaks while trying to remove it, figure about 185 + 66 USD for the repair, doing it yourself, which is not difficult.

The universal support bars have evolved over the years. Go to sharptoolsusa.com and check out "Jeff's blog". He discusses the changes in the universal support bars. A new USB costs about 50 USD. I would replace the shaft first.

The power switch has changed. I'm not sure if the new switch is really any better. I believe it does comply with the latest European Safety regulations.

The water trough has been improved. It catches more water. The old ones work adequately. I did replace mine, but I'm a Tormek junkie. I would replace the main shaft and the USB first.

Some of the jigs have been improved, particularly the diamond dressing tool. The newer diamond dresser works in conjunction with the micro adjust on the new USB.

The square edge jig has been redesigned and improved, although many members of the forum continue to use the older jigs without complaining.

My advice would be to carefully and fully compare the 2000 and what is included with the price of a new T7. Until a couple weeks ago, Tormek was running a special which included a rotating base and a knife jig at no extra cost with a new T7.

Make sure the included accessories are what you want. Some, like the stone grader, are essential. Some, like the axe jig, are only useful if you happen to use axes.

A new Tormek comes with a warranty. (10 years, including commercial use with the T7; 7 years for the T4, not including commercial use) Tormek stands behind its products; consider the warranty as valuable.

The Tormek is well designed and built. It can be almost always be repaired, if necessary, which is not very often, if one is wiling to pay the cost.

Hopefully some of the 2000 users on the forum will post.

Ken

Ken S

Woodrow, I did not see your second post before I posted. The 2000, if in good condition, is probably as good a machine as it ever was. The New T7 is substantially improved. For my money, I don't see enough of a gap in the prices.

A Tormek will serve you for the rest of your life. A car won't last that long.

Ken

Ken S

Woodrow,

Google "stumpy nubs". Check out his website and look for his tool reviews. He does one called "Why does the Tormek cost so much?" It is a very well done and in depth interview with our own Stig Reitan of Tormek. I have not found a better discussion of Tormek, and I have done a lot of looking!

It's a "must see".

Ken

SharpenADullWitt

The 2000 had originally a non threaded USB.  The prior owner of mine either received or bought it when the replacement came out.  The knob on it, changed from black (mine) to numbered to help one dial things in.  (don't see the big difference there) The 2000 went from a square frame to an angled frame, gained the front mount (went through knobs), and gained the sticker with the wheel size.
The angle gauge has changed, to allow smaller degree's. During the run it also gained a serial number.
Several of the jigs have been upgraded during the 2000 run.  The knife jigs went to an o-ring from the locking knobs they had.  The square edge jig was redesigned and received a new number.
Some other jigs were redesigned along the way, but I don't know all the particulars (things like Time frame), the SVS32 being one of them.  The 180, became the 185 with a change. The SVS50 received a slight mod (cut down to a smaller size on one part).

Other tools have come out since, for example the turning tool setter displaced the old build your template method. The shaft changed to Stainless, sometime around when they changed the model number.
At some point enough changes were done that they decided to change the paint and call it 7 (2007, see a numbering scheme?).
The newer water tray, is more recent and a change during the T7 run.  I think the rotating base also followed the T7.

I picked up mine used with the a chipped stone, a new stone, the 60 (became the 76), 45, 32,50,185 jigs, profiled wheel, as well as the angle grinder for under $200.  I upgraded the shaft, water tray, picked up the diamond sharpener, the grading stone, a hand tools kit (passed duplicates to a relative), the truing tool setter, video and a thing of durosol honing compound after that. (all with overtime, so not the effect normal budget)  For xmas I got the rotating base.
I've seen several Tormeks listed since I bought mine (they were rare before), and around $300-$350 they go quick. (and that would be in the price range I would look at used, with the jigs I wanted).  I see one on my local CL, similar to what I bought, listed at $450, lightly used, and it has been on for a while, changing in price.  Your comfort zone and budget may be different.
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Woodrow

Thanks, Ken.  Lots of good information.  I watched the video at Stumpy Nubs.  I agree with you about the price gap.  I am seriously leaning towards the T-7 unless the price drops on the 2000.  By the time I upgraded the 2000 I would be in the T-7 range anyway.

Woodrow

Quote from: SharpenADullWitt on February 11, 2015, 06:51:05 AM
The 2000 had originally a non threaded USB.  The prior owner of mine either received or bought it when the replacement came out.  The knob on it, changed from black (mine) to numbered to help one dial things in.  (don't see the big difference there) The 2000 went from a square frame to an angled frame, gained the front mount (went through knobs), and gained the sticker with the wheel size.
The angle gauge has changed, to allow smaller degree's. During the run it also gained a serial number.
Several of the jigs have been upgraded during the 2000 run.  The knife jigs went to an o-ring from the locking knobs they had.  The square edge jig was redesigned and received a new number.
Some other jigs were redesigned along the way, but I don't know all the particulars (things like Time frame), the SVS32 being one of them.  The 180, became the 185 with a change. The SVS50 received a slight mod (cut down to a smaller size on one part).

Other tools have come out since, for example the turning tool setter displaced the old build your template method. The shaft changed to Stainless, sometime around when they changed the model number.
At some point enough changes were done that they decided to change the paint and call it 7 (2007, see a numbering scheme?).
The newer water tray, is more recent and a change during the T7 run.  I think the rotating base also followed the T7.

I picked up mine used with the a chipped stone, a new stone, the 60 (became the 76), 45, 32,50,185 jigs, profiled wheel, as well as the angle grinder for under $200.  I upgraded the shaft, water tray, picked up the diamond sharpener, the grading stone, a hand tools kit (passed duplicates to a relative), the truing tool setter, video and a thing of durosol honing compound after that. (all with overtime, so not the effect normal budget)  For xmas I got the rotating base.
I've seen several Tormeks listed since I bought mine (they were rare before), and around $300-$350 they go quick. (and that would be in the price range I would look at used, with the jigs I wanted).  I see one on my local CL, similar to what I bought, listed at $450, lightly used, and it has been on for a while, changing in price.  Your comfort zone and budget may be different.

I agree about the price.  Thanks for all the great information.    I really like the idea of getting in with a used machine, but so far it's a toss up unless it drops a bit.