News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

T-7 overheated!

Started by tylers, February 07, 2015, 08:52:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tylers

Hello Everyone,

Thank you all for a great discussion and great ideas.

As to 'operator error" - that is certainly still a possiblity, but I did what I could to minimize/eliminate it. I plugged in other equipment to the same receptacle as the 7 and the three other tools worked fine. I tried the Tormek on two other power receptacles, stil nothing.

I did my research and Tormek was my choice because of it's flexibility, durability, and reputation. I would make that same choice again. As to buying a back-up T-4, this is a good idea in retrospect. Who woulda thought?? I can afford one, but I really didn't think that it would be necessary. I am now re-thinking this idea.

I was, and full well know, that I need to practice/refine my skills/speed before I start taking in other people's knives for renumeration. Right now, all my neighbors and friends are reaping the benefits.  I have been sharpening knives, archery broadheads, axes, etc., etc. for over 40 years, mostly for barter, but this was the first serious power tool other than a Baldor buffer. I can make most things razor sharp, but not quickly. That has to change. My basic knowledge of sharpening devices is good, and my dexterity is good as I tie fishing flies also. But, the power sharpening tools is a new, yet unlearned skill. Having the T-7 down stopped this practice.

My question to you folks is this: Is the T-4 similar enough to the T-7 that I would have minimal learning curve on this 'back-up' machine?

As soon as I am confidant enough in my skills and speed, I will start marketing my services in a serious way. I have all business licenses in place, business cards, price lists, invoice sheets, several power tools (minus the T-7), stones, wheels, buffers, and hand tools in my shop. I am doing what I can to get things going, but the T-7 was the mainstay. Anyone out there see any i's or t's not taken care of?

As soon as I am comfortable with enough business, I will be buying some sort of van/truck to set up so that I will be a mobile business. Suggestions/ideas on this would be much appreciated also. I've ruled out the Mercedes Sprinter - overkill; Ford Transit, Nissan NV cargo van, and used U-haul trucks are in the running. Other ideas?
Thanks to all once again.

Ken S

Tyler,

I am pleased to find you holding up well. Having used both the T7 and T4, I was initially surprised with how similar they are. What really surprised me was how similar setup is with the knife jigs. I saw no mention of differences in the handbook. Tormek very cleverly moved the distance of the sleeves equivalent to the differences in the grinding wheel radaii. In most operations, they two models are essentially the same. The main difference I notice is when moving the T4.

That's why I have written that my main factor in deciding which to purchase would be the location(s) of the work. I believe a T4 would be an excellent backup unit for your sharpening business. It can function fully like a T7 for general sharpening, and, for situations where it is more convenient to work on location, like a church kitchen, it is much easier to transport. You already have the jigs; they are fully interchangeable.

With a mobile van workshop, the 120 watt motor might actually be an advantage if you are using a low wattage convertor.

After using both the T7 and T4, I have changed my idea of wanting a second T7. i am leaning more toward having both a T7 and a T4, using each for their own strengths. One project I am developing is sharpening Chinese cleavers using the T7 with the grinding wheel from the T4. We had some posts advocating a taller universal support bar. Using the T7 with the 200 mm wheel should fill the bill.

Please keep us posted. At this point, we are rally on another topic. I would suggest beginning a new topic for the benefit of future searchers.

You might also want to email Steve Bottorff in Ohio. His website and book is "Sharpening Made Easy". Steve is recently retired and no longer teaching, however, his site is worth reading, and he might give you some advice based on a lot of experience.

Ken

tylers

Thanks Ken.

I have pretty much memorized Steve Bottorf's website and book. I have also bought most of my power equipment from him. His service has been excellent.

I will keep you posted....
T

Ken S

Tyler,

One of my regrets was not studying with Steve. I bought his book from his website and always wanted to take his practical weekend class. I lived only about an hour from him.

Steve is actually a member of this forum. I hope now that he is retired he will post more. He has much practical knowledge to share.

Ken

tylers

A few of you wanted me to keep you up to date with my overheating? troubles with the new T-7. I have not forgotten, I just have not heard a thing from the wholesaler. They received the returned machine on 10 Feb. I did receive an email from Stig that he had requested that they send me a new machine ASAP.....nothing yet.
It was suggested that I should buy a T-4 for backup.  Really? I thought that this T-7 would be enough, as the reputation is that they run for years.
Will keep you posted....

grepper

Bummer!  I'd contact the wholesaler and Tormek and get to the bottom of what's going on.  A week is a long time to at least hear from somebody.  Get to the bottom of the problem.  Sad you should have to chase it down.

When I had a bad grinding wheel, the service could not have been better.

Stickan

Hi,
We are working on it right now.

Stig

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: tylers on February 18, 2015, 06:42:45 AM
It was suggested that I should buy a T-4 for backup.  Really?

Not! First, it's not equivalent in the sense that it can't do what the T-7 can. If it could there'd be no need for the T-7. Second, the T-7 is a workhorse. If you need a second machine to back it up you're in an environment where it's getting enough use to justify the purchase of a second T-7.
Origin: Big Bang

tylers

Update to all interested.

Stig of Tormek came through and held to his word.
A new machine was delivered to me yesterday pm.
Thanks to all of you for your concern, and a BIG thank you to Stig.
T

Ken S

Hurrah, Tyler!

Good job, Stig!

Ken

jeffs55

Quote from: tylers on February 19, 2015, 07:38:15 PM
Update to all interested.

Stig of Tormek came through and held to his word.
A new machine was delivered to me yesterday pm.
Thanks to all of you for your concern, and a BIG thank you to Stig.
T
But I am guessing that we will never know the cause of the problem. Did Tormek include anything written that said something to the effect of, "we have examined the machine in question thoroughly and although we can find nothing wrong with it, we are sending you a new machine. Our actions concerning this issue and the remedy we have offered shall in no way construe that we admit any defects nor will this be considered a precedent for any future issues of this nature." Or something to that effect. Just call me cynical.
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

Stickan

Jeff55, You are a bit cynical ;-)

The machine has not arrived to us in Sweden yet.

Stig

Fineline

Hi Stig,
Is it ok to share what happened?
Just curious.
FL

Stickan

Hi,
We got the machine about 2 weeks ago and tested the machine for several hours with 122 Volt, a higher voltage, to see how warm we could get it and if it stopped.
The result was about 57 degree celsius/ 135 degree Fahrenheit witch is within tolerance and we got a lower temp when we measured on the motor housing. It worked all the time.

We can´t find anything wrong with it but it could be the switch since a click was noticed. The motor itself can´t give a click sound but the switch can.
The test did not show why it stopped. Even the switch works as it should.

We can't do much more than to test it and the customer have a new machine that works fine.

Stig