News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Sharpening a round knife

Started by wyeman, January 27, 2015, 09:16:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wyeman

Could anyone please assist with the sharpening of a round or head knife?

grepper

Either do it by hand, or build yourself a tool rest something like this one:
http://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=1592.msg6634#msg6634

Stickan

I meet a man in Sweden last December who made his own Head knife and a jig. I asked him if he could share it on the forum but he don't use internet at all.
However, I was free to share how he did it. I have no pictures yet but it was pretty easy.
The tool had a handle that he could remove, made of two parts of wood and to screws with nuts. When he removed them the tool was flat and in the tool he had a hole.
The jig was like our SVD-110 but smaller. I guess you could actually use Hermans idea and in the jig he had a pin where he mounted the tool in it´s hole.
So, using the right distance between the jig and the stone he got a perfect edge on the head knife.
I have a picture somewhere but I can´t find it right now. I guess I will be able to do so tomorrow.

Stig

Fineline

Hi Stig,
Difficult for me to picture what it's like.
A picture would be excellent.
Thanks.

grepper

Could you use the knife handle itself as a jig by just resting the handle on the control bar?  Maybe put a piece of tape or rubber band to indicate position and/or to keep it from sliding up or down?

wyeman

Thank you all, for the advice received so far

grepper

Did you get it sharp?  If so, what did you do?