News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Ellsworth grind

Started by KEW, February 25, 2006, 05:06:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KEW

Has anyone established a method for replicating the profile of the Ellsworth Signature Gouge on the Tormek?

TIA

Jeff Farris

Yes.  The formula is published in the 9.2 version of the handbook.  Use a protrusion of 3 inches and set the jig past the #5 index -- about where the #6 would be if there was one.  Match the factory bevel angle the first time you grind it, then cut a block that will just fit between the Universal Tool Support and the grindstone.

You can download the latest version of the handbook from http://www.tormek.com.
Jeff Farris

KEW

boehme

I hve reached approximately the same settings by experimenting until I got bevel contact along the whole edge of the tool.  My settings were actually about 2 7/8" protrusion and about 4.5 jig setting.  However, my setting has not let me grind all the way back along the wings.  I have decided to take another approach since I own the Ellsworth jig -- I am just adapting the Ellsworth jig to be used on the Tormek.

Bill

KEW

Bill,

That is the same conclusion I came to - The tormek will not replicate the Ellsworth grind as provided on my Crown Ellsworth gouge.

Realistically, it probably is close enough for practical purposes, but will not grind all of the way back on the wings.

boehme

If I get a "round-tuit" and finish the fixture forusing the Ellsworth jig on the Tormek, I will put a picture of it here and also a measured drawing.

My gouge is also the Crown ProPM Ellsworth gouge.

Bill

Matt Rabe

What is the distance to the stone.  I'm not copying, or regrindinganother chisel?